Increasing efficiency in C

Nils Petter Vaskinn

The applications that really can't afford the size_t can of course still
use the zero terminated strings, I don't think those will be removed
from the standard in the near future :)

I'ts not only about the memory hitt, it's about the performance hit of
keeping the length updated for all the cases when you really don't need
to.

A others have sai, by all means make a string library, but don't make it
part of the standard. If you need a "C like" language with safer strings
then use you could use C++ and sstd::string but not using all the other
features, there's a string library ready for you right there..