    not have to type mydomain.com/index.html.

    What is it I'm not understanding?

    , Sep 23, 2010

    On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:14:35 -0500, wrote:

    >I acquired a domain. When I try accessing it a message comes up
    >telling me I must have and index file.
    >
    >What is that?
    >
    >Cannot I access mydomain.com without making a mydomain.com/index.html
    >page?
    >
    >I want people to be able to simply enter mydomain.com and go to it,
    >not have to type mydomain.com/index.html.
    >
    >What is it I'm not understanding?

    I found an answer. (I finally put the right keywords into Google.)

    Here's the URL I found it at:

    http://webdesign.about.com/od/beginningtutorials/f/index_html.htm

    Every website is built inside directories on a Web server. And each
    Web page is a separate file on that Web server. But sometimes, when
    you go to a URL, there is no file listed in the URL. For example:

    http://webdesign.about.com/

    But there is still a file that the Web server needs to serve in order
    for that URL to display anything other than an error page. This file
    is the default page for that directory. On most Web servers, the
    default page in a directory is named "index.html".

    What this means is that when you go to a URL without a file named at
    the end, the server looks for a default file and displays that
    automatically. Just as if you had typed in that file name in the URL:

    http://webdesign.about.com/index.htm

    There are Three Default Page Names

    There are three commonly used default page names that you can use on
    most Web servers:

    * index.html
    * index.htm
    * default.htm (on some Windows servers)

    It's a good idea to stick with index.html or index.htm on most
    servers, as default.htm is most often used on Windows servers, and
    isn't as common as it used to be.
    You Should Have an index.html Page in All Your Directories

    Whenever you have a directory on your website you should have an
    index.html page. This allows your readers to see a page when they come
    to that directory without typing a file name in the URL. It also
    prevents them from seeing things you might not want them to see.

    If you don't put in an index.html file in a directory, most Web
    servers will display a file listing of all the files in that
    directory. While in some situations, you might want that, most of the
    time this is ugly at best and a security hole at worst. Writing a
    default Web page and naming it index.html helps solve those problems.
    Your Homepage Should be an index.html Page

    When you start building your website, you should create your main page
    and name it index.html. This is true whether you're using a free
    hosting service or you have your own domain name. That way, when
    people come to your URL, they automatically get your main page. All
    other pages will have names like "about.html" or "contact.html", but
    your home page should file should be called "index.html".
    Learn HTML and Web Design

  3. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I acquired a domain. When I try accessing it a message comes up
    > telling me I must have and index file.
    >
    > What is that?

    Have you got hosting? You need hosting, that is a computer that
    stores your *website files*. If you have not, get hosting so that
    people who type in your domain get pointed to the hosting server.

    > Cannot I access mydomain.com without making a mydomain.com/index.html
    > page?
    >
    > I want people to be able to simply enter mydomain.com and go to it,
    > not have to type mydomain.com/index.html.
    >
    > What is it I'm not understanding?

    If your server is set up to not reveal the files in some or all
    folders, you need to give a specific address to a particular
    file. Servers are almost always set to go to a file called
    index.htm or .html, sometimes to home.htm or .html or even
    index.php or other .letters.

    You can get what you want if you get your FTP program and load up
    an index file to your top level. Suppose your top level is
    /public_html, get a text editor (Notebook is fine) and paste this
    in.

    <head>
    charset=utf-8">
    <title>My new website</title>
    </head>

    Save as:

    index.html

    and then load it up to the top level of your domain on the
    server.

    Did I ask, have you bought or acquired hosting?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 23, 2010

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:33:00 +1000, dorayme <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I acquired a domain. When I try accessing it a message comes up
    >> telling me I must have and index file.
    >>
    >> What is that?
    >>

    >Have you got hosting? You need hosting, that is a computer that
    >stores your *website files*. If you have not, get hosting so that
    >people who type in your domain get pointed to the hosting server.
    >
    >> Cannot I access mydomain.com without making a mydomain.com/index.html
    >> page?
    >>
    >> I want people to be able to simply enter mydomain.com and go to it,
    >> not have to type mydomain.com/index.html.
    >>
    >> What is it I'm not understanding?

    >If your server is set up to not reveal the files in some or all
    >folders, you need to give a specific address to a particular
    >file. Servers are almost always set to go to a file called
    >index.htm or .html, sometimes to home.htm or .html or even
    >index.php or other .letters.
    >
    >You can get what you want if you get your FTP program and load up
    >an index file to your top level. Suppose your top level is
    >/public_html, get a text editor (Notebook is fine) and paste this
    >in.
    >
    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    >"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    ><head>
    >charset=utf-8">
    > <title>My new website</title>
    ></head>
    >
    >Save as:
    >
    >index.html
    >
    >and then load it up to the top level of your domain on the
    >server.
    >
    >Did I ask, have you bought or acquired hosting?

    I got a host outfit today. Their advertising made it seem so easy.
    They lied.

    Anyway, I did a follow up post with a link to a page I found which
    explained the subject of the index.html file/page. So, this step is
    over with. I now have to create that main - index.html page. I have
    a few programs to do that with. I just have to figure out exactly
    what I want on it. In the end I wish to have a forum. The outfit I'm
    with provides Wordpress. But that's another problem for tomorrow.
    I'll get it, as long as people answer a few newbie questions I'll be
    posting.

    Thanks for answering.

    , Sep 23, 2010
  5. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:33:00 +1000, dorayme <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I acquired a domain. When I try accessing it a message comes up
    > >> telling me I must have and index file.
    > >>
    > >> What is that?
    > >>

    > >Have you got hosting? You need hosting, ...

    > ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    > >"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    > I got a host outfit today. Their advertising made it seem so easy.
    > They lied.
    >
    > Anyway, I did a follow up post with a link to a page I found which
    > explained the subject of the index.html file/page. So, this step is
    > over with. I now have to create that main - index.html page.

    You might *start* with the one I gave you and add whatever you
    like as you get to know more.

    > I have
    > a few programs to do that with. I just have to figure out exactly
    > what I want on it.

    As I said, all you need is Notebook (Windows) or TextWrangler
    (Mac) both free...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Sep 23, 2010
  6. Dan Guest

    On Sep 22, 10:28 pm, wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:14:35 -0500, wrote:
    > >I acquired a domain.  When I try accessing it a message comes up
    > >telling me I must have and index file.

    > >What is that?

    I have some discussion in my site:
    http://webtips.dan.info/subdir.html

    > There are Three Default Page Names
    >
    > There are three commonly used default page names that you can use on
    > most Web servers:
    >
    >     * index.html
    >     * index.htm
    >     * default.htm (on some Windows servers)

    I remember that when I first set up a personal website, in 1995, the
    first hosting provider I used had "welcome.html" as its default index
    name.

    Dan, Sep 24, 2010
  7. P E Schoen Guest

    There is a problem with your clock. Your post is dated Dec 29, 2010 at 1:15
    AM.

    BTW, index.shtml is also accepted. That file extension is required for some
    server-side scripts such as a hit counter.

    Some servers will show a directory of files if the index file is missing.

    Paul

    P E Schoen, Nov 24, 2010
  8. DLU Guest

    On 9/24/2010 12:00, Dan wrote:
    > On Sep 22, 10:28 pm, wrote:
    >> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 21:14:35 -0500, wrote:
    >>> I acquired a domain. When I try accessing it a message comes up
    >>> telling me I must have and index file.

    >>> What is that?

    > I have some discussion in my site:
    > http://webtips.dan.info/subdir.html
    >
    >> There are Three Default Page Names
    >>
    >> There are three commonly used default page names that you can use on
    >> most Web servers:
    >>
    >> * index.html
    >> * index.htm
    >> * default.htm (on some Windows servers)

    > I remember that when I first set up a personal website, in 1995, the
    > first hosting provider I used had "welcome.html" as its default index
    > name.

    MS servers use index.asp

    --
    * This is the Spammish Inquisition *