Index Page Design and Search Engine Ranking

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Maflu, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Maflu

    Maflu Guest

    Hello,
    I have a small Flash animation on my home page so that I designed an
    index page containing a script detecting whether the visitors have
    Flash. If they have it, they are sent to the Flash homepage and if they
    do not have it they are sent to another version of the homepage without
    Flash animation.

    My question is this: because my index page contains nothing else than a
    detecting script, will it be a problem for search engine ranking? Or
    should I be better off with a "normal" index page containing text and
    keywords and so on? How important is the index page as far as ranking
    in seach engines is concerned?

    Thank you for your help

    Cheers

    Ted

    Maflu, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Maflu

    Kris Guest

    In article <3f9ebf7f$0$27580$>,
    Maflu <> wrote:

    > I have a small Flash animation on my home page so that I designed an
    > index page containing a script detecting whether the visitors have
    > Flash. If they have it, they are sent to the Flash homepage and if they
    > do not have it they are sent to another version of the homepage without
    > Flash animation.
    >
    > My question is this: because my index page contains nothing else than a
    > detecting script, will it be a problem for search engine ranking? Or
    > should I be better off with a "normal" index page containing text and
    > keywords and so on? How important is the index page as far as ranking
    > in seach engines is concerned?

    If the connectivity to other pages rely on Flash or client side
    scripting, SE spiders will not be able to reach them. If, on top of it,
    that index page does not have relevant content, then you cannot expect
    to see much of your site in search results.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)

    Kris, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Maflu

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:11:56 +0100, Maflu <>
    wrote:

    : Hello,
    : I have a small Flash animation on my home page so that I designed an
    : index page containing a script detecting whether the visitors have
    : Flash.

    Bad.

    : If they have it, they are sent to the Flash homepage

    Bad

    : and if they
    : do not have it they are sent to another version of the homepage without
    : Flash animation.

    Hope they don't

    :
    : My question is this: because my index page contains nothing else than a
    : detecting script, will it be a problem for search engine ranking?

    Yes

    : Or
    : should I be better off with a "normal" index page containing text and
    : keywords and so on?

    Of course.

    : How important is the index page as far as ranking
    : in seach engines is concerned?

    Most important - priority 1.

    :
    : Thank you for your help

    Get rid of Flash

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Maflu wrote:

    > I have a small Flash animation on my home page so that I designed an
    > index page containing a script detecting whether the visitors have
    > Flash. If they have it, they are sent to the Flash homepage and if they
    > do not have it they are sent to another version of the homepage without
    > Flash animation.

    This is likely to cause many accessibility problems in addition to
    search engine indexing issues... for instance, if this depends on a
    client-side script, any users who have disabled scripting probably won't
    wind up anywhere but a blank page. Thus, at a bare minimum, you ought
    to have a plain text link on the page to let people go on into the site
    if the script fails.

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Oct 29, 2003