Indexing a site

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Brian Robertson, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. I have a web site that deals with railway history. The main body of the site
    consists of tables. An example is:
    http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html

    Now then, the faults with this web site are many. It is badly designed, it
    is designed with FrontPage and...... I could go on and on, and doubt you
    people could go on and on and on and on.

    In its favour, once you have found the table that you are looking for, the
    information is (I think) clear. That's all that I am looking to provide. I
    simply do not have the time to master too many web design skills. I know
    enough that I can get 'beneath the bonnet' of html a little bit when I need
    to and I am aware of how much more CSS could improve things, but I don't
    need people telling me that I shouldn't be using FrontPage. I know!

    What I would like to know is how I provide a search facility on the site.
    Basically it is a list of railway stations in the UK. How can I increase the
    functionality of the site by allowing people to enter a station name on the
    front page and go to the table the covers it?

    Any advice much appreciated.

    --
    Visit my website: British Railways in 1960
    http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk

    Brian Robertson, Jan 17, 2010

  2. Brian Robertson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <WNL4n.33186$2>,
    "Brian Robertson" <> wrote:

    > I have a web site that deals with railway history. The main body of the site
    > consists of tables. An example is:
    > http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html
    >
    > Now then, the faults with this web site are many. It is badly designed, it
    > is designed with FrontPage and...... I could go on and on, and doubt you
    > people could go on and on and on and on.
    >
    > In its favour, once you have found the table that you are looking for, the
    > information is (I think) clear. That's all that I am looking to provide. I
    > simply do not have the time to master too many web design skills. I know
    > enough that I can get 'beneath the bonnet' of html a little bit when I need
    > to and I am aware of how much more CSS could improve things, but I don't
    > need people telling me that I shouldn't be using FrontPage. I know!
    >
    > What I would like to know is how I provide a search facility on the site.
    > Basically it is a list of railway stations in the UK. How can I increase the
    > functionality of the site by allowing people to enter a station name on the
    > front page and go to the table the covers it?
    >
    > Any advice much appreciated.

    Sounds like

    http://www.google.com/cse/

    might be for you. Pretty easy to use and does a good job generally.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 17, 2010

  3. Brian Robertson

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:02:30 -0000, Brian Robertson wrote:

    > I have a web site that deals with railway history. The main body of the site
    > consists of tables. An example is:
    > http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html
    >
    > Now then, the faults with this web site are many. It is badly designed, it
    > is designed with FrontPage and...... I could go on and on, and doubt you
    > people could go on and on and on and on.
    >
    > In its favour, once you have found the table that you are looking for, the
    > information is (I think) clear. That's all that I am looking to provide. I
    > simply do not have the time to master too many web design skills. I know
    > enough that I can get 'beneath the bonnet' of html a little bit when I need
    > to and I am aware of how much more CSS could improve things, but I don't
    > need people telling me that I shouldn't be using FrontPage. I know!
    >
    > What I would like to know is how I provide a search facility on the site.
    > Basically it is a list of railway stations in the UK. How can I increase the
    > functionality of the site by allowing people to enter a station name on the
    > front page and go to the table the covers it?
    >
    > Any advice much appreciated.

    How about a simple dropdown list?
    Since the main page doesn't have all that huge of a list, I think a
    dropdown list would suffice quite well.

    richard, Jan 18, 2010
  4. dorayme wrote:
    > In article <WNL4n.33186$2>,
    > "Brian Robertson" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a web site that deals with railway history. The main body of
    >> the site consists of tables. An example is:
    >> http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html
    >>
    >> Now then, the faults with this web site are many. It is badly
    >> designed, it is designed with FrontPage and...... I could go on and
    >> on, and doubt you people could go on and on and on and on.
    >>
    >> In its favour, once you have found the table that you are looking
    >> for, the information is (I think) clear. That's all that I am
    >> looking to provide. I simply do not have the time to master too many
    >> web design skills. I know enough that I can get 'beneath the bonnet'
    >> of html a little bit when I need to and I am aware of how much more
    >> CSS could improve things, but I don't need people telling me that I
    >> shouldn't be using FrontPage. I know!
    >>
    >> What I would like to know is how I provide a search facility on the
    >> site. Basically it is a list of railway stations in the UK. How can
    >> I increase the functionality of the site by allowing people to enter
    >> a station name on the front page and go to the table the covers it?
    >>
    >> Any advice much appreciated.

    > Sounds like
    >
    > http://www.google.com/cse/
    >
    > might be for you. Pretty easy to use and does a good job generally.

    Many thanks for that. I will give it a go!

    Brian Robertson, Jan 20, 2010