Indexing of a website.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Brian Robertson, Feb 7, 2010.

  1. Brian Robertson, Feb 7, 2010

  2. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Brian Robertson wrote:
    >> A while back I asked about a search engine for my website. An
    >> example page is http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html
    >>
    >> Someone kindly suggested http://www.google.com/cse/ Very good it
    >> seems too! One slight problem though. All of the information that I
    >> want to index is inside tables, and this system seems to ignore
    >> stuff in tables. Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Well, I'm pretty sure Google does index content within tables. See
    > this search:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yejqsrm
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&num=50&q=abington 1968 regimbal&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
    >
    > The name "Regimbal" in the search query only appears within a table on
    > that page.
    >
    > You can also go to my main page in my sig and enter "Regimbal" in the
    > Google search. You'll get a correct search.
    >
    > Also, look at this search of your own site:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/y9eqx2l
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&... site:britishrailways1960.co.uk&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
    >
    > I think the problem is likely the lack of meaningful text within that
    > table.

    Yes, Google indexes everything, but I want to put a search box on my website
    that just searches my website. The Google tool that does this does NOT seem
    to read text inside the boxes. ie People have no means of looking for a
    particular railway station.
    --
    Visit my website: British Railways in 1960
    http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk
    Brian Robertson, Feb 7, 2010

  3. Brian Robertson

    idle Guest

    On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 19:37:03 -0000, Brian Robertson wrote in alt.html:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Brian Robertson wrote:
    >>> A while back I asked about a search engine for my website. An
    >>> example page is http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html
    >>>
    >>> Someone kindly suggested http://www.google.com/cse/ Very good it
    >>> seems too! One slight problem though. All of the information that I
    >>> want to index is inside tables, and this system seems to ignore
    >>> stuff in tables. Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Well, I'm pretty sure Google does index content within tables. See
    >> this search:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/yejqsrm
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&num=50&q=abington 1968 regimbal&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
    >>
    >> The name "Regimbal" in the search query only appears within a table on
    >> that page.
    >>
    >> You can also go to my main page in my sig and enter "Regimbal" in the
    >> Google search. You'll get a correct search.
    >>
    >> Also, look at this search of your own site:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/y9eqx2l
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&... site:britishrailways1960.co.uk&aq=f&aqi=&oq=
    >>
    >> I think the problem is likely the lack of meaningful text within that
    >> table.

    > Yes, Google indexes everything, but I want to put a search box on my website
    > that just searches my website. The Google tool that does this does NOT seem
    > to read text inside the boxes. ie People have no means of looking for a
    > particular railway station.

    You can set the CSE to search results only from your web site. Or web. Or
    both.

    --
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    idle, Feb 7, 2010
  4. Brian Robertson

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dAzbn.122351$2>,
    "Brian Robertson" <> wrote:

    > A while back I asked about a search engine for my website. An example page
    > is http://www.britishrailways1960.co.uk/WLNCM01.html

    Where is the search box in the above url?

    > Someone kindly suggested http://www.google.com/cse/ Very good it seems too!
    > One slight problem though. All of the information that I want to index is
    > inside tables, and this system seems to ignore stuff in tables.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Others have said how you can configure the search engine. Besides
    the google one I mentioned to you earlier, there is
    <http://www.atomz.com/> which is excellent: but may not be
    configurable to confine to your site.

    But before doing anything further re searching, best to get your
    site it into fighting shape. No doctype? Microsoft FrontPage 6.0
    generator is fraught with danger.

    Get a doctype pronto, get some alt into the img elements, fix up
    faults like id="1" (begin with one of {A-Z,a-z} followed by zero
    or more of {A-Z,a-z,0-9,-,_,:,.}).

    Get rid of font elements, use the CSS sheet and latch onto your
    classes and style.

    Alderley Edge and Wilmslow eh? That brings back memories! Also, I
    used to sit on the embankments near Didsbury station collecting
    train numbers! <g>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Feb 7, 2010