Indexing of files

Discussion in 'HTML' started by RaYmOnD, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. RaYmOnD

    RaYmOnD Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm busy to make a small webdesign for a friend of me. He has got a very
    small Apache server running and asked me to make a website. If I make a
    subdirectory in the html root, example :
    <site>.com/test and I don't put an index.html file, you cannot see the
    documents in the folder, I want to use it as a download folder.

    Is there a small application which makes a professional look alike index
    file which I can use as download page ? Or is there a simple HTML code for
    it ?
    P.S. On this small server it is not possible to run PHP scripts just HTML

    Thanks in advance,

    --
    Raymond

    __{ô¿ô}__ http://raymondvalk.nl
    http://pe2kw.com @(-_-)@
    RaYmOnD, Mar 9, 2006

  2. RaYmOnD

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "RaYmOnD" <raymond(@)raymondvalk.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm busy to make a small webdesign for a friend of me. He has got a very
    > small Apache server running and asked me to make a website. If I make a
    > subdirectory in the html root, example :
    > <site>.com/test and I don't put an index.html file, you cannot see the
    > documents in the folder, I want to use it as a download folder.
    >
    > Is there a small application which makes a professional look alike index
    > file which I can use as download page ? Or is there a simple HTML code for
    > it ?
    > P.S. On this small server it is not possible to run PHP scripts just HTML
    >
    > Thanks in advance,

    If I correctly understand what you are saying, you want to be able to place
    files in your folder "test" and then be able to download them.

    Two approaches (probably more):

    1. Create an index file and link to each of them. That way you can include
    any description along with each file.

    2. Create the file (text) .htaccess in the folder and put the line:
    Options +Indexes
    in it. That will tell apache to present it as a file listing.

    Hope that helps and I've not totally misunderstood what you are after.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian
    Brian Cryer, Mar 10, 2006

  3. RaYmOnD

    RaYmOnD Guest

    Brian Cryer schreef:
    > "RaYmOnD" <raymond(@)raymondvalk.nl> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I'm busy to make a small webdesign for a friend of me. He has got a very
    >> small Apache server running and asked me to make a website. If I make a
    >> subdirectory in the html root, example :
    >> <site>.com/test and I don't put an index.html file, you cannot see the
    >> documents in the folder, I want to use it as a download folder.
    >>
    >> Is there a small application which makes a professional look alike index
    >> file which I can use as download page ? Or is there a simple HTML code for
    >> it ?
    >> P.S. On this small server it is not possible to run PHP scripts just HTML
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,

    > If I correctly understand what you are saying, you want to be able to place
    > files in your folder "test" and then be able to download them.
    >
    > Two approaches (probably more):
    >
    > 1. Create an index file and link to each of them. That way you can include
    > any description along with each file.
    >
    > 2. Create the file (text) .htaccess in the folder and put the line:
    > Options +Indexes
    > in it. That will tell apache to present it as a file listing.
    >
    > Hope that helps and I've not totally misunderstood what you are after.

    Thanks a lot ! I was looking for option 2 !

    --
    Raymond

    __{ô¿ô}__ http://raymondvalk.nl
    http://pe2kw.com @(-_-)@