Indexing XML Document

sql_er

Guys,

I have a very large XML document. When I query it, it takes too long
to produce results. I read somewhere that XML documents could be
indexed (althgough that "somewhere" did not describe how exactly).

Can someone tell me how it can be done?

Thank you very much

Martin Honnen

sql_er said:
I have a very large XML document. When I query it, it takes too long
to produce results. I read somewhere that XML documents could be
indexed (althgough that "somewhere" did not describe how exactly).

Can someone tell me how it can be done?

It depends on how you query the XML. If you have written an XSLT
stylesheet then you might be able to speed up processing by making use
of xsl:key and the xsl key function, see
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#key>

sql_er

Martin said:
It depends on how you query the XML. If you have written an XSLT
stylesheet then you might be able to speed up processing by making use
of xsl:key and the xsl key function, see
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#key>

I am actually loading XML document into a DataSet object in C# program
and querying it there. That is why, not only do I need to find out how
I can index, but also if indexing information can be used once xml data
is loaded into a dataset object.

I read somewhere that if I know the access path or something I should
be able to index. I have no idea what it is though.

Thanks a lot

Joe Kesselman

sql_er said:
I am actually loading XML document into a DataSet object in C# program
and querying it there. That is why, not only do I need to find out how
I can index, but also if indexing information can be used once xml data
is loaded into a dataset object.

If you aren't working through a tool that supports indexing, you may
need to write your own.