    indexed (althgough that "somewhere" did not describe how exactly).

    Can someone tell me how it can be done?

    Thank you very much

    sql_er, Dec 20, 2006

  2. sql_er wrote:

    > I have a very large XML document. When I query it, it takes too long
    > to produce results. I read somewhere that XML documents could be
    > indexed (althgough that "somewhere" did not describe how exactly).
    >
    > Can someone tell me how it can be done?

    It depends on how you query the XML. If you have written an XSLT
    stylesheet then you might be able to speed up processing by making use
    of xsl:key and the xsl key function, see
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#key>

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Dec 20, 2006

  3. sql_er

    sql_er Guest

    Martin Honnen wrote:
    > sql_er wrote:
    >
    > > I have a very large XML document. When I query it, it takes too long
    > > to produce results. I read somewhere that XML documents could be
    > > indexed (althgough that "somewhere" did not describe how exactly).
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me how it can be done?

    > It depends on how you query the XML. If you have written an XSLT
    > stylesheet then you might be able to speed up processing by making use
    > of xsl:key and the xsl key function, see
    > <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#key>

    I am actually loading XML document into a DataSet object in C# program
    and querying it there. That is why, not only do I need to find out how
    I can index, but also if indexing information can be used once xml data
    is loaded into a dataset object.

    I read somewhere that if I know the access path or something I should
    be able to index. I have no idea what it is though.

    Thanks a lot

    sql_er, Dec 20, 2006
  4. sql_er wrote:
    > I am actually loading XML document into a DataSet object in C# program
    > and querying it there. That is why, not only do I need to find out how
    > I can index, but also if indexing information can be used once xml data
    > is loaded into a dataset object.

    If you aren't working through a tool that supports indexing, you may
    need to write your own.

    Joe Kesselman, Dec 23, 2006