IndexOf error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Reena, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Reena

    Reena Guest

    Hi,

    I am getting

    error: 'strServerName.IndexOf' does not exist

    message. Not sure what I am doing wrong...

    following is the code form .aspx page...

    using System;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.ComponentModel;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Drawing;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.SessionState;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

    string strServerName =
    Request.ServerVariables["SERVER_NAME"].ToUpper();

    if (strServerName.IndexOf("LANT") <= 0) //Not Lant
    //GETTING ERROR
    {
    if (strServerName.IndexOf("PAC") <= 0) //Not Pac
    {
    Response.Write ("<font size=2 face=Arial color=Red>To
    access RADWeb site, please use one of the following...");
    Response.Write ("<br><br>");
    Response.Write ("<A
    href='http://pac.com'>https://pac.com</a>");
    Response.Write ("<A
    href='http://lant.com'>https://lant.com</a>");
    Response.Write ("</font>");
    Response.End();

    Help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    - Reena
    Reena, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Reena

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    Reena,
    it is fundamentally important that you test for null before using variables.
    you aren't doing this.
    if you try to find indexof on a null object it will bomb
    do this
    if(strServerName != null && then your index of code next

    Alvin Bruney, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Reena

    Reena Guest

    Thanks. Does not work.

    Not getting any error while I am running the code. But if I step through the
    code, watch window - value field displays 'strServerName.IndexOf' does not
    exists.

    Even if value is hardcode, strServerName = 'LANT', same error.

    Thanks,

    - Reena

    "Alvin Bruney" <vapordan_spam_me_not@hotmail_no_spamhotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:...

    Reena, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Reena

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    I'm lost on this one

    Alvin Bruney, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Reena

    JLaw Guest

    Hello,

    Just had a similar problem.

    Seems like IndexOf wants to return to an int variable,

    so in your example, using:

    int intReturn = strServerName.IndexOf("LANT");
    if (intReturn <= 0)

    should do the trick.

    JLaw, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Reena

    lavey Guest

    u can tried the following code

    string str_ServerName=Request.ServerVariables["SERVER_NAME"].ToUpper();
    if((null!=str_ServerName) && (str_ServerName.IndexOf("LANT") > -1 )
    {
    // true statement
    }
    else