Indian C programmers [OT]

sathyashrayan

Friends,
We have achieved a success in chess games. Thanks for the 9 GM
from India. But regarding programming, that too in c and asm we still
stand behind. I could see some c questions from Indian named posters
in this Usenet. But comparing those questions with that of the
questions asked and answers given by those experts in this Usenet
responder, we are at the beginning.

Programming is an art but not a science. A 10-year-old student
can program well if he is given a proper training. There are lot of
very young programmers in Europe, US, and other countries. If we look
at the track records in this Usenet it will be more than 10 years.

Once I wanted to learn the implementation of tree-data-struct. I
tried several different ways and asked some help from this Usenet news
group. In replay I got an American saying "WTF you are doing as a
programming". WTF is an American expression.
Then I went through his web site I come across the excellent work done
by him in tree data-struct as a Stanford Grad student. I don't blame
him for those words because if I would have been in his position I
will have the same kind of expression. But I blame our system.

My conclusion of that is the system that is been followed in
India. MCA and BE students are considered as a programmers. But when I
come across some MCA and BE students they don't even take the C and
ASM programming as a serious one. Even if some body programs well then
it is his or her own personal interest and self-study but not because
of the way they have been thought. They will learn and write the
data-struct as in the book without knowing the concept! Example: They
will cast malloc()'s return and allocate mem. So taking the MCA and BE
as a qualification is a bad for future Indian programmers.

But I don't know about NCST teachings.

In my view the industry's approach must change and there should be
a school of programming as a full academics background India.

(I live in south-India, chennai)

Thanks,
By
N.Sathyashrayan
(e-mail address removed)

Joona I Palaste

sathyashrayan said:
Friends,
We have achieved a success in chess games. Thanks for the 9 GM
from India. But regarding programming, that too in c and asm we still
stand behind. I could see some c questions from Indian named posters
in this Usenet. But comparing those questions with that of the
questions asked and answers given by those experts in this Usenet
responder, we are at the beginning.

(snip)

What was your C question?

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."

Nicholas

I agree. But there is a section in newspaper called "Opinions" which will
suit you better.
Good luck with your journey to become the Master of Art of Programming.

Cheers.

Jeff

sathyashrayan said:
[...]

This code snippet is never going to compile. You've got several
unterminated character constants, no main function, a malloc with no
arguments, and on and on. Please repost a stripped-down version that
demonstrates your problem and we'll be happy to help you.

Jeff

Joona I Palaste

If he had one, he wouldn't have inserted the "[OT]" tag in the subject
line, would he? ;-)

I was aware of that, but still, it's not as if people can post anything
they want by merely adding "[OT]" to the title. (Nevertheless, I'm
sometimes guilty of that myself...)

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"Immanuel Kant but Genghis Khan."

Irrwahn Grausewitz

and what was the aim of the mail ? we dont debate on topics of
philosophy here,do we ?

No, we debate on prjntf, music (Bill Haley and the Comments), the
likelyhood of "out of memory" errors in aircarrier altimeters, the
preferred pronounciation of strcpy (To RH: good job), the preferred
metasyntactic variable names, the 1-to-"I'm Denis Ritchie"-scale, etc.

Irrwahn

Dan Pop

In said:
If he had one, he wouldn't have inserted the "[OT]" tag in the subject
line, would he? ;-)

I was aware of that, but still, it's not as if people can post anything
they want by merely adding "[OT]" to the title.

The post was not completely unrelated to C and he was kind enough to warn
you that you can't expect topical content.
(Nevertheless, I'm sometimes guilty of that myself...)

Quite often, without even adding the "[OT]" tag...

Dan

Malcolm

Aishwarya said:
and what was the aim of the mail ? we dont debate on topics of
philosophy here,do we ?
Indian philosophers invented the zero, which is pretty important in C.

John L

Malcolm said:
Indian philosophers invented the zero, which is pretty important in C.

Would it be on-topic to discuss differences in C programming style
between programmers of different nationalities and backgrounds?
In practice, such a discussion would founder on the lack of data,
of course.

John.

Jeff

Joona I Palaste said:
Dan Pop said:
In <[email protected]> Joona I Palaste
If he had one, he wouldn't have inserted the "[OT]" tag in the subject
line, would he? ;-)

I was aware of that, but still, it's not as if people can post anything
they want by merely adding "[OT]" to the title. (Nevertheless, I'm
sometimes guilty of that myself...)

I think it is acceptable to post some "[OT]" thing in usenet. If someone
just have the good idea and he want to share with others, we should not
reject him :)

However, if someone ask his question in the "wrong group" (for example: ask
"windows, assembly, c++" thing in clc ) , we should kindly tell him and
redirect him to the correct group. It can stop him to post off-topic
question, and let him understand that this is not the correct group for him,
any answers or comments given in here will not be correct for his off-topic
question.

Jeff

Dan Pop said:
In <[email protected]> Joona I Palaste
sathyashrayan <[email protected]> scribbled the following:
[...]

Sometimes I read the message even it has [OT] tag, just because of curious
:)

Jeff

Jeff said:
This code snippet is never going to compile. You've got several
unterminated character constants, no main function, a malloc with no
arguments, and on and on. Please repost a stripped-down version that
demonstrates your problem and we'll be happy to help you.

The OP is not asking a C question, you know ?

Mark McIntyre

I think it is acceptable to post some "[OT]" thing in usenet. If someone
just have the good idea and he want to share with others, we should not
reject him :)

By this logic its ok for people to have "great ideas" about
astrology, genital enlargement, bread making, get rich quick schemes,
nigerian moneylaundering etc, and to post it here, so long as they
stick an [OT] tag in.

I don't think so, and thats where what you suggest leads. One man's
"great idea" is another's spam remember.

And frankly, I read CLC to learn about C, not something else that
happens to have fired up someone today. So there.

BR

Why is it that an OT post "completely unrelated to C" generates a thread
a mile long? The OP got precisely the gratification he was looking for
and trolls and windbags everywhere are encouraged to follow his example.

BR