Indicating "Deprecation" in XML Schema

Drew

I am developing Web Services and using XML Schema to indicate the
strtucture of the requests/replies for my Web Services. I have run
into scenarios where I would like to "deprecate" certain request/reply
elements. Does XML schema have any built in support for indicating
that an element is deprecated and should no longer be used? Is anyone
aware of any "industry standards" or protocols for indicating
deprecation?

HISTORY:
I have a Java programming background and find the "@deprecated"
functionality of Javadoc to be a very useful communication tool.
Basically, I'm looking for an equivalent in XML Schema. Here's mor
info on Javadoc deprecation:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/misc/deprecation/deprecation.html

Thanks in advance for any help/hints.

Thanks,
Drew

C. M. Sperberg-McQueen

I am developing Web Services and using XML Schema to indicate the
strtucture of the requests/replies for my Web Services. I have run
into scenarios where I would like to "deprecate" certain request/reply
elements. Does XML schema have any built in support for indicating
that an element is deprecated and should no longer be used? Is anyone
aware of any "industry standards" or protocols for indicating
deprecation?

HISTORY:
I have a Java programming background and find the "@deprecated"
functionality of Javadoc to be a very useful communication tool.
Basically, I'm looking for an equivalent in XML Schema. Here's mor
info on Javadoc deprecation:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/misc/deprecation/deprecation.html

Thanks in advance for any help/hints.

Tell the XML Schema Working Group you want this (and how you
think it should work -- at the validation level is it just
a cookie, or should validators issue warnings when they see
deprecated stuff, or what?).

File a Bugzilla enhancement request at

http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public

for the 'product' XML Schema.

I can't promise anything, but I can guarantee that proposals for
change that have visible user support are going to have a better
chance of adoption than those that look to some people in the WG
like a good idea, but for which there is no visible support from
users.

best regards,

--C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
World Wide Web Consortium
Staff contact, W3C XML Schema Working Group