Infiniband via Virtex-II Pro RocketIOs (keywords: Virtex2, RocketIO, Rocket I/O)

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Bruce, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Hello,
    at present I am working on an Infiniband implementation on a Virtex-II
    Pro. As far as I know the build-in RocketIOs are fully compliant to
    the Infiniband standard (beacon and variant CRC excluded). There are
    two types of CRC, the invariant and the variant type. Although the
    RocketIOs are able to calculate at least one type, i.e. the invariant
    CRC, you cannot make use of it in this particular case. The reason for
    this is that the invariant CRC is needed for the variant CRC type
    which you have to handle yourself, anyway. Has anyone ever tried or
    finished an Infiniband implementation inside the V2P/RocketIOs and
    could share his experience with me? Or is there any example
    implementation for the whole CRC calculation inside the FPGA fabric
    available? I wonder how one could ever reach the typical 2.5 Gbit/s
    Infiniband transmission rate when almost all functions must be handled
    inside the FPGA fabric? Still some other questions: Could someone
    please help me on the question how often the beacon signal should be
    repeated before synchronisation is sufficiently established? And what
    about the packet generation? There are several IBA packet structures.
    If I assume a plain point-to-point connection it surely would not be
    necessary to include all that global routing stuff inside the header.
    So what would be the adequate format to use? The "local packet"
    structure or maybe just "raw packets"? If someone got the slightest
    clue, please post a write an email! Any answer is appreciated. Best
    regards, Bruce