infinite hierarchy webpages

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by roger@prodo.com, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,
    I am putting together a small CMS system and i need to use an infinite
    hierarchy for users to add unlimited pages, sub pages etc.

    I am really struggling to get the ASP to work.
    I have a single table for the pages 'tblsitepages' with a auto pk
    'fldpageid', fldparentid, fldhierarchy, fldpagename

    the parentid starts at -1 for top level pages and would increment
    2,3,4 etc for any subpages that have childpages
    fldhierarchy contains 0000.0000 and would increment depending on its
    parent.

    eg.

    page1 would be - fldpageid1 fldparentid -1
    subpage1 - fldpageid4 fldparentid1 fldhierarchy 00001.00001
    subpage2 - fldpageid5 fldparentid1 fldhierarchy 00001.00002
    subsubpage1 - fldpageid6 fldparentid4 fldhierarchy
    00001.00021
    subsubpage2 - fldpageid7 fldparentid4 fldhierarchy
    00001.00022

    page2 would be - fldpageid2 fldparentid -1
    page3 would be - fldpageid3 fldparentid -1

    I hope this is making sense! I have the database built but I am
    struggling with the ASP

    Please can anyone help?

    Thanks!

    , Nov 28, 2007

  2. Brynn Guest

    On Nov 28, 4:13 am, wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I am putting together a small CMS system and i need to use an infinite
    > hierarchy for users to add unlimited pages, sub pages etc.
    >
    > I am really struggling to get the ASP to work.
    > I have a single table for the pages 'tblsitepages' with a auto pk
    > 'fldpageid', fldparentid, fldhierarchy, fldpagename
    >
    > the parentid starts at -1 for top level pages and would increment
    > 2,3,4 etc for any subpages that have childpages
    > fldhierarchy contains 0000.0000 and would increment depending on its
    > parent.
    >
    > eg.
    >
    > page1 would be - fldpageid1 fldparentid -1
    > subpage1 - fldpageid4 fldparentid1 fldhierarchy 00001.00001
    > subpage2 - fldpageid5 fldparentid1 fldhierarchy 00001.00002
    > subsubpage1 - fldpageid6 fldparentid4 fldhierarchy
    > 00001.00021
    > subsubpage2 - fldpageid7 fldparentid4 fldhierarchy
    > 00001.00022
    >
    > page2 would be - fldpageid2 fldparentid -1
    > page3 would be - fldpageid3 fldparentid -1
    >
    > I hope this is making sense! I have the database built but I am
    > struggling with the ASP
    >
    > Please can anyone help?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Sorry, I can do about anything in ASP, but I am not quite getting what
    you are wanting done. You have a database that is holding a bunch of
    users pages, and each user can have any number pf pages. What from
    there?

    Brynn, Nov 28, 2007

    Not really.

    Nothing to do with users specifically. Just trying to achieve a system
    where infinite pages/sub pages can be added by using one pages table.
    I tried to build a ASP version of the PHP 'cms made simple' but i
    cannot get it to work :-(

    Thanks

    , Nov 29, 2007
  4. Evertjan. Guest

    wrote on 29 nov 2007 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > Not really.

    ?????????

    [please always quote on usenet]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Nov 29, 2007

    On Nov 29, 5:38 pm, "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere
    dot com> wrote:
    > " i cannot get it to work :-( "
    >
    > people can't help you with vague statements like the above . they can only help, if you post a specific problem, preferably with
    > example code showing where the error occurs and a copy of the error message.

    Apologies. I have built the database for my CMS with a sitepages table
    that includes the the fields:

    'fldpageid', fldparentid, fldhierarchy, fldpagename

    My idea is to allow a site administrator to add infinite pages and sub
    pages to the site.
    My thinking was that if a page is added, (and i'll use the field names
    above in order), that i could add any sub page to any page even the
    page i was using as a parent page was itself a sub page. eg -

    pageid="1", fldparentid="-1", fldhierarchy"", fldpagename"page1"

    > pageid="2", fldparentid="1", fldhierarchy"1", fldpagename"subpage1"

    >> pageid="3", fldparentid="2", fldhierarchy"2", fldpagename"subsubpage1"

    > pageid="4", fldparentid="1", fldhierarchy"2", fldpagename"subpage2"

    pageid="5", fldparentid="-1", fldhierarchy"", fldpagename"page2"

    I am unsure if my method will work and need to know what ASP to write
    in order to display the navigation correctly on page

    , Nov 30, 2007