Information about Python Codyng Projects Ideas

M1st0

Hi to All!

I would like to join the Google summer code program
(http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html).
From the sponsored links I have choose to help The Python Software
Foundation, because I like a lot the language.
I have read the proposed Ideas from

http://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas

And the more interesting for me were those about Optimization.

MemoryUsageProfiler
ProfileReplacementProject
SpeedUpInterpreterStartup

But I many of this there are very few information or nothing about of
what is really needed.
I am taking a Master in Computer Science so I know many of the issues
in this topics, but I would like some hints and every usefull
information.

I hope that here is the right place for this kind of discussion.

Kind Regards

Rob Cowie

Ha,

I've just headed over here to ask the same thing!

Any good ideas not listed on the wiki?

I too am taking a Masters in Computer Science, however my first degree
was not purely CS - mostly microbiology, so I'm not yet what one would
call an expert

Cheers

rbt

Rob said:
Ha,

I've just headed over here to ask the same thing!

Any good ideas not listed on the wiki?

I too am taking a Masters in Computer Science, however my first degree
was not purely CS - mostly microbiology, so I'm not yet what one would
call an expert

Cheers

So long as you've had enough math. CS is really just applied math.

Terry Reedy

M1st0 said:
I have read the proposed Ideas from

http://wiki.python.org/moin/CodingProjectIdeas

And the more interesting for me were those about Optimization.

MemoryUsageProfiler
ProfileReplacementProject
SpeedUpInterpreterStartup

But I many of this there are very few information or nothing about of
what is really needed.
I am taking a Master in Computer Science so I know many of the issues
in this topics, but I would like some hints and every usefull
information.

I hope that here is the right place for this kind of discussion.

Definitely. Brett Cannon just completed his CS thesis on the possible
speed benefit of certain type-inferencing in the compiler. He posted a
link about a week ago just after successfully defending it.

I believe some of the project suggestions may have been stimulated by his
request, over a year ago, for thesis project suggestions, of which he got
many. If/when you get more info on those specific suggestions, perhaps you
could add some of it to the Wiki.

As to startup: while 2.4 is generally faster than 2.3, etc, the time it
takes to get to the first line of code increased, due to behind-the-scenes
imports and maybe something else. There was some discussion of this on the
Python development list (gatewayed to gmane.lang.python.devel). I think
the consensis was that this was not good, but that a real fix, if one was
possible, required a more thorough reexamination of the startup process
than any developer could do when 2.4 was otherwise ready to be released.
But check the pydev archives.

Terry J. Reedy

Dan Christensen

M1st0 said:
I would like to join the Google summer code program
(http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html).
From the sponsored links I have choose to help The Python Software
Foundation, because I like a lot the language.

I've always thought it'd be great if psyco was extended to support
floating point operations. Not sure how difficult this would be...

Dan

Casey Hawthorne

The slightly slower startup time makes no difference for apps running
24 hours a day, except when reloading changed source modules!

I imagine reloading modules is also slower -- but I could be
mis t
ak
en!

Michael Hudson

M1st0 said:
I hope that here is the right place for this kind of discussion.

There's a new mailing list (e-mail address removed) which is probably
more appropriate for specifics, but this list is probably OK for
general discussion.

Cheers,
mwh