Inheriting from / Delegating to Integer - Currency class implementation

Pascal Ehlert

Howdy folks.

I'm currently working on a Currency class which I'd like to behave
exactly like Integer with some additional methods like #to_currency and
and overridden #to_s method etc.

My first approach was to inherit from Integer directly which failed,
because there is no constructor for this class. After some more
research I found the DelegateClass method which seemed to be exactly
what I need, however there was one major problem with it: Methods like
#+ and #- returned Integer, not Currency objects. So "(Currency.new(20)
+ Currency.new(30)).class" evaled to Integer and my custom methods have
been gone.

The latest approach was not to inherit at all but write the class from
scratch, carrying around a @value instance variable which stores an
Integer representation of the currency.
Unfortunately that idea didn't work to good either because I couldn't
add Currency objects to Fixnums anymore, "20 + Currency.new(30)" raised
a TypeError ("Currency can't be coerced into Fixnum"), although my
class implements a #to_i method.

I actually like best the second way, using DelegateClass.
Are there any ways to make the calculation methods return a Currency
object then?
Or do you at least have an idea how to solve the problem with the
latest approach?

Thank you

-- Pascal

Rick DeNatale

[...]

class Currency

attr_reader :base_value

def initialize(value)
@base_value = value
end

def +(other)
Currency.new(@base_value + other.to_currency.base_value)
end

def to_currency
self
end

def coerce(other)
[self, other.to_currency]
end

end

class Numeric
def to_currency
Currency.new(self)
end
end

Currency.new(10) + Currency.new(5) # => #<Currency:0x23ab4 @base_value=15>
10 + Currency.new(5) # => #<Currency:0x238e8 @base_value=15>

HTH

Pascal Ehlert

def coerce(other)
[self, other.to_currency]
end

Whoa, that looks really interesting.
Thanks a lot, Rick!

However, is there another way to implement the Currency class using
DelegateClass?
It still feels wrong to me to write +, -, * and / on my own, although
they are exactly the same as in the Integer class.

-- Pascal

Robert Klemme

def coerce(other)
[self, other.to_currency]
end

Whoa, that looks really interesting.
Thanks a lot, Rick!

However, is there another way to implement the Currency class using
DelegateClass?

There might be but you will have to handle type differences anyway. You
will have to implement #coerce, #+ etc. in any case. I recommend to use
Rick's approach because it is much cleaner.
It still feels wrong to me to write +, -, * and / on my own, although
they are exactly the same as in the Integer class.

Actually, they are not the same. Adding currencies is significantly
more complex than adding ints. What happens if you add 5 EUR and 12
USD? All sorts of issues are lurking here. A currency value is (at
least) a decimal value and a currency identifier - at least this is the
most straightforward definition I can think of. You are doing yourself
a favor by doing it properly - it's not that difficult.

Kind regards

robert

Alex Shulgin

  def coerce(other)
    [self, other.to_currency]
  end

Whoa, that looks really interesting.
Thanks a lot, Rick!

However, is there another way to implement the Currency class using
DelegateClass?
It still feels wrong to me to write +, -, * and / on my own, although
they are exactly the same as in the Integer class.

Huh?.. And what is the result for $5 divided by $1? ;)

Rick DeNatale

def coerce(other)
[self, other.to_currency]
end

Whoa, that looks really interesting.
Thanks a lot, Rick!

However, is there another way to implement the Currency class using
DelegateClass?
It still feels wrong to me to write +, -, * and / on my own, although
they are exactly the same as in the Integer class.

Huh?.. And what is the result for $5 divided by $1? ;)

What, do you want me to do all of the OP's work for him for free?

Rick DeNatale

On 2/10/08, Alex Shulgin <[email protected]> wrote:
they are exactly the same as in the Integer class.
What, do you want me to do all of the OP's work for him for free?

Actually, I rather blithely skipped over the real point in Alex's question.

Although my code shows how to do coercion via double dispatching in
Ruby, it ignores the domain question of what does it mean to add an
integer to a currency.

$5 + 1 what?

It's not clear that an integers and currency really SHOULD be
compatible in this way.

Stefan Rusterholz

Alex said:
Huh?.. And what is the result for $5 divided by $1? ;)

Hrm, I don't know why my answer via google didn't show up. Maybe a
mistake on my part. So here again:
That would be a mathematically sound: 5.
If you need an example to see that this even makes sense, consider: You
have $5 in $1 pieces. How many $1 pieces do you have? Answer: $5/$1 = 5.

With $1*$5 it's a bit different as powers other than 0 and 1 of $ as I
can't find anything where that'd make sense :)

Regards
Stefan