inhibiting comment reflow

Roedy Green

Eclipse comment reformatter is great for free form text, but it screws
up anything that is designed to align in columns. I gave discovered
<pre> </pre> will disable to reflow in Javadoc, but not in // or /*
comments. Has anyone discovered something similar for // or /*?

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Monique Y. Mudama

Eclipse comment reformatter is great for free form text, but it
screws up anything that is designed to align in columns. I gave
discovered
<pre> </pre> will disable to reflow in Javadoc, but not in // or /*
comments. Has anyone discovered something similar for // or /*?

I didn't realize Eclipse will reformat comments -- have to check that
out.

While googling about that, I came across

http://www.mindview.net/WebLog/log-0047

which says

"Eclipse has a builtin that does pretty well here, but it doesn't do
everything. In particular, and I need to be able to make sure
everything fits within a strict column limitation so I need comment
reformatting.

Jalopy seems to be the front runner, and the latest version even does
comment reformatting. Although it is a commercial product, it is a
very reasonable $40. They have a plugin for Eclipse as well as an Ant
version and a command-line version. "

I was thinking $40 sounded awfully steep for just comment formatting,
but it turns out Jalopy is a general source formatter.

?

-

Roedy said:
Eclipse comment reformatter is great for free form text, but it screws
up anything that is designed to align in columns. I gave discovered
<pre> </pre> will disable to reflow in Javadoc, but not in // or /*
comments. Has anyone discovered something similar for // or /*?

Use <code> </code> (case sensitive).

Andrew Thompson

What does JavaDoc do with /* and // lines?

I thought 'nothing'.

For JavaDoc[1] or Eclipse[2]?

[1] Which I don't see as relevant, because it ignores such tags.
[2] ..guess what my motivation to fix that will be?
Use <code> </code> (case sensitive).

<code> is an in-line (rather than block level) element that
should not affect line reflow. Further, HTML elements are not
case sensitive in any UA worth it's salt - not even JEditorPane!

Roedy Green

I didn't realize Eclipse will reformat comments -- have to check that
out.

there are a number of options in how it handles comments, once you
turn reflow on, which is great for cleaning up mess with no effort,
you have to watch for it reflowing things that are carefully laid out.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

Monique Y. Mudama

there are a number of options in how it handles comments, once you
turn reflow on, which is great for cleaning up mess with no effort,
you have to watch for it reflowing things that are carefully laid
out.

Er, I keep poking around in my preferences and searching through help
and google with no luck ... how do I turn reflow on? I rarely do the
kind of comment formatting you describe, so I'm not too worried about
that. I'm using Eclipse 3.0.2.

Roedy Green

Er, I keep poking around in my preferences and searching through help
and google with no luck ... how do I turn reflow on? I rarely do the
kind of comment formatting you describe, so I'm not too worried about
that. I'm using Eclipse 3.0.2.

I am using Eclipse 3.1

Try Windows | preferences | Java | code style | formatter | edit |
comments.

You have to be part rabbit to find your way around modern gui apps.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

You have to be part rabbit to find your way around modern gui apps.

I have a conjecture that some people organize their memories by place.
They have no trouble at all remembering where in a menu structure
something is. These folk are right at home in the deeply nested menus
of the modern browser or IDE.

Other people remember by association. They associate words, sounds,
images with things. They would prefer to find them by giving these
associations. (These folk love google and use it even to find frequent
URLS) They also tend to prefer the Unix commandline interface where
everything is immediately accessible just by remembering its name.

I wonder how much longer till someone invents a UI that customizes
itself to the user's style.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Monique Y. Mudama

I am using Eclipse 3.1

Try Windows | preferences | Java | code style | formatter | edit |
comments.

You have to be part rabbit to find your way around modern gui apps.

The funny part is that I actually *did* manage to find that! What I
didn't find is anything about making comments rewrap themselves for
you when you change the contents.

Maybe I should upgrade ...

Roedy Green

The funny part is that I actually *did* manage to find that! What I
didn't find is anything about making comments rewrap themselves for
you when you change the contents.

There are 10 parameters to tweak on that page. As I recall it was
"enable comment formatting" that did it. That brings in all kinds of
goodies I would not want to give up.

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.