Initiating save event in iframe from parent

jkeel

Here's what I'm trying to do (any opinions whether this is OK or plan
stupid are appreciated):

I have a parent web page that will contain a Page Title at the top and
a save and probably a cancel button at the bottom.

The body of this page will be an iframe that will contain an asp.net
page.

How can I initiate the save event in the iframe for the asp.net page
from the parent page?

Jason

Eliyahu Goldin

Jason,

Technically, it can be programmed on client side.

The page in the iframe will have a javascript function

function saveEvent(){
myForm.inhAction.value="SAVE";
myForm.submit();
}

where

<input type=hidden runat=server id=inhAction />

is used for passing info from client to server.

The parent page would need to make a javascript call
myParentForm.myFrame.contentWindow.saveEvent();

Did you consider other solutions? Master pages? User controls?

Eliyahu

jkeel

Thanks for the quick response.

As far as master pages goes, that is really what I want to accomplish.
We are currently using some third party software (stellant) as a
content manager. What we want to accomplish is a uniform look and feel
to the webpages, but without losing the custom menus that stellant
offers. The workaround was to have an iframe inside their html pages
with our asp.net pages inside the iframe. As we went from page to page
the asp.net pages would change in the iframe, but nothing else.

How would user controls be beneficial in this situation?

thanks
Jason

Eliyahu Goldin

Ok. User controls could be useful for placing the same controls on every
page. Apparently it is not for you.

Eliyahu