Inline assembly

samir

jmcgill said:
You talk about these tools as though you think they are bad things.

While I love Java for its strengths, I still have a deep appreciation for C.
Saluton!

I've been using C for almost all my devlpement time and I enjoy using
it.
But the fact that the world is moving toward OOP and AOP makes it
somehow a "legacy programming language" (except for hardware and
operating system cases).

Even java and C++ charm is not going to last for ever: there is the
emerging taste for the dynamically typed languages and most of the
developpers will vote for the simplicity of languages such as Python
and Ruby. But, you know, now you have to follow the standards or you
will have a kick in the ass.

Adiaux
Samir

jmcgill

samir said:
But the fact that the world is moving toward OOP and AOP makes it
somehow a "legacy programming language" (except for hardware and
operating system cases).

Parts of the world, I suppose. Some of us still live in system- and
device- land :)

samir

Saluton!
Parts of the world, I suppose. Some of us still live in system- and
device- land :)

Even java and friends are coming to the hardware wanderland:

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-278485.html?legacy=cnet

In addition to that, the newly born ARM processors have native support
for java bytecode to make embedding java into embedded systems even
easier.

Adiaux
Samir

P.S: I think that making modifications to gcj will be easier than
making an other preprocessor layer :)

samir

Saluton!
Hah! Look at the date - 1997. This idea was nicely superceded
by JIT (and other run-time dynamic optimisation techniques)

It seems that hardware isn't over with java or java isnt over with
hardware :)

Look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_architecture#Jazelle

In addition to that, I dont think that it would be resonable that a
microcontroller could be able to run a JIT task.

This days, java is "the" fashion in the programming world. Every one is
willing to use it for anything. People talk about porting Linux to
toasters where java is one step from seeing it's bytecode managing the
guts of a big fat toaster.
Try googling for "dynamic optimisation" (or with a 'z')
and learn...

Oops... Thank you for the advice...

Adiaux
Samir