inner page links don't work in php pages?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dot*Star, Sep 25, 2009.

  1. Dot*Star

    Dot*Star Guest

    hi guys,

    in html, for a link on the same page,

    i use an anchor <a name="whatever"></a>

    and to arrive at that, just use #whatever appended to the page url, or alone
    if fired from the same page.

    note that it doesn't seem to work on php pages. my php page is mostly just
    html with a php tag at top to setcookie and prevent a video from repeating.

    anyway, if I send a link to a friend,
    http://whateversite.com/index.php#whatever, it just opens the page
    disregarding the #whatever.

    (oops. IE8 does read the anchor. FF & OPERA, NO)

    any comments appreciated..

    Star

    Dot*Star, Sep 25, 2009

  2. Dot*Star

    rf Guest

    "Dot*Star" <> wrote in message
    > hi guys,
    >
    > in html, for a link on the same page,
    >
    > i use an anchor <a name="whatever"></a>
    >
    > and to arrive at that, just use #whatever appended to the page url, or
    > alone if fired from the same page.
    >
    > note that it doesn't seem to work on php pages. my php page is mostly
    > just html with a php tag at top to setcookie and prevent a video from
    > repeating.
    >
    > anyway, if I send a link to a friend,
    > http://whateversite.com/index.php#whatever, it just opens the page
    > disregarding the #whatever.

    There is no <a> named "whatever" on that page. There is a <a name="signup">
    but no "whatever".

    Oh, that is not your site? You should be using example.com then. Better yet,
    provide a URL to *your* page so we can spot the HTML error, or take it over
    to the validator and let that find your HTML error.

    rf, Sep 25, 2009