innerHTML not being recognized in FireFox

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Buster, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Buster

    Buster Guest

    Hello,

    First, this works fine in IE 6.5 and 7. Second, this is javascript
    embedded in ASP code. The purpose of this is to assign letters to form
    fields that are being rendered in an ASP loop.

    First part, I assign a div tag for the "marker" positions:

    do Until rs4.EOF
    address = address & "<div id=""marker""></div><input type='image'
    SRC='images/gobutton.gif' border=0>"
    rs4.MoveNext
    Loop
    rs4.Close
    set rs4 = nothing

    Second, I confirm that we are getting the object with an alert:

    Response.Write("<script type=""text/javascript""> var formMarker =
    document.getElementsByName('marker');alert(formMarker);</script>")

    Third, I am doing a final loop where I am outputting the values (A, B,
    C)

    do while iiLoop < totalRecord
    Response.Write("<input type=""hidden"" name=""dealerName" & iiLoop &
    """ value=""" & dynamicAddressArray(0,iiLoop) & """>")
    Response.Write("<p>" & dynamicAddressArray(1, iiLoop))
    iiLoop = iiLoop + 1

    If iiLoop = "1" Then
    Response.Write("<script type=""text/javascript"">
    formMarker[0].innerHTML = 'A'</script>")
    End If

    If iiLoop = "2" Then
    Response.Write("<script type=""text/javascript"">
    formMarker[1].innerHTML = 'B'</script>")
    End If

    If iiLoop = "3" Then
    Response.Write("<script type=""text/javascript"">
    formMarker[2].innerHTML = 'C'</script>")
    End If
    Loop

    I've Googled this, searched through many KB's and forums, tried many
    different syntax variations, cannot get FireFox to output these
    values.

    Thank you for your time,
    Buster

    Buster, Apr 15, 2008

  2. "Buster" wrote:
    > First, this works fine in IE 6.5 and 7. Second, this
    > is javascript embedded in ASP code.

    No it is not, it is javascript generated by ASP code. When it is "in"
    the ASP it is just text, and when it gets to become javascript (when it
    reaches the client) the ASP is finished.

    > The purpose of this is to assign letters to form
    > fields that are being rendered in an ASP loop.

    Browsers do the 'rendering', all this loop does is assemble mark-up to
    be sent to a browser.

    <snip>
    > address = address & "<div id=""marker""></div><input

    <snip>
    > Response.Write("<script type=""text/javascript""> var
    > formMarker = document.getElementsByName('marker');
    > alert(formMarker);</script>")

    <snip>

    Your DIV elements don't have NAME attributes (and should not have them)
    so trying to retrieve a collection of them using - getElementsByName -
    should not be expected to be effective. And ID attributes are supposed
    to be unique within a single document.

    But why attempt to use - innerHTML - to put the content into the DIV
    elements on the client when you could put the contents into the DIVs in
    the mark-up generated by the ASP on the server?

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Apr 15, 2008