Innovative Concepts for Site Design, Looking for ...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Christopher A. Steele, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. I'm not very conversant with the terminology of web design (or perhaps
    this is more a 'marketing' question?), but here goes.

    Where can I go to gain a better understanding of the different
    'conceptual designs' -- or innovations in functionality of design --
    that are being persued on the net? For instance, Wikipedia is quite a
    different animal than the typical website, and I'm curious about what
    other 'concepts' or ideas are being used or experimented with.

    Christopher A. Steele

    (banish 'rambler' from above to e-mail)

    Son of Col. Marvin J. Steele
    WWII: 8th Air Force, 95th Bomb Group (Heavy), Horham, England
    Never Turned Back on a Mission
    3 Distinguished Unit Citations (the only 8th Air Force Bomb Group to
    be so recognized): 17 Aug 1943; Regensburg / 10 Oct 1943 Munster / 4
    Mar 1944 Berlin
    "First B-17s Over Berlin"

    Korea/Cold War: US Army Security Agency/Adj. General Corps: Postings
    at Fts: Richardson, Devens, Rucker, Lawton, Oakland Army Terminal,
    Thailand, Korea

    Christopher A. Steele, Nov 13, 2004

  2. Christopher A. Steele

    brucie Guest

    In alt.www.webmaster,alt.html Christopher A. Steele said:

    > Christopher A. Steele
    >
    > (banish 'rambler' from above to e-mail)
    > Son of Col. Marvin J. Steele
    > WWII: 8th Air Force, 95th Bomb Group (Heavy), Horham, England
    > Never Turned Back on a Mission
    > 3 Distinguished Unit Citations (the only 8th Air Force Bomb Group to
    > be so recognized): 17 Aug 1943; Regensburg / 10 Oct 1943 Munster / 4
    > Mar 1944 Berlin
    > "First B-17s Over Berlin"
    > Korea/Cold War: US Army Security Agency/Adj. General Corps: Postings
    > at Fts: Richardson, Devens, Rucker, Lawton, Oakland Army Terminal,
    > Thailand, Korea

    are we supposed to care or something?

    l i t t l e v o i c e s

    brucie, Nov 13, 2004

  3. Christopher A. Steele wrote:

    > I'm not very conversant with the terminology of web design (or perhaps
    > this is more a 'marketing' question?), but here goes.
    >
    > Where can I go to gain a better understanding of the different
    > 'conceptual designs' -- or innovations in functionality of design --
    > that are being persued on the net? For instance, Wikipedia is quite a
    > different animal than the typical website, and I'm curious about what
    > other 'concepts' or ideas are being used or experimented with.
    >
    > Christopher A. Steele
    >
    > (banish 'rambler' from above to e-mail)
    >
    > Son of Col. Marvin J. Steele
    > WWII: 8th Air Force, 95th Bomb Group (Heavy), Horham, England
    > Never Turned Back on a Mission
    > 3 Distinguished Unit Citations (the only 8th Air Force Bomb Group to
    > be so recognized): 17 Aug 1943; Regensburg / 10 Oct 1943 Munster / 4
    > Mar 1944 Berlin
    > "First B-17s Over Berlin"
    >
    > Korea/Cold War: US Army Security Agency/Adj. General Corps: Postings
    > at Fts: Richardson, Devens, Rucker, Lawton, Oakland Army Terminal,
    > Thailand, Korea

    God almighty. Is that a sig or a feeble attempt at compensation for
    inadequacies elsewhere?

    Looks like the sort of thing a warmongering, half-witted redneck would
    write.

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com

    Charles Sweeney, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Christopher A. Steele

    Sam Hughes Guest

    (Christopher A. Steele) wrote in

    > I'm not very conversant with the terminology of web design (or perhaps
    > this is more a 'marketing' question?), but here goes.
    >
    > Where can I go to gain a better understanding of the different
    > 'conceptual designs' -- or innovations in functionality of design --
    > that are being persued on the net? For instance, Wikipedia is quite a
    > different animal than the typical website, and I'm curious about what
    > other 'concepts' or ideas are being used or experimented with.

    I have seen many people "experimenting" with XHTML, by which I mean, they
    mix XHTML and HTML syntax, producing a mess.

    > Christopher A. Steele
    >
    > (banish 'rambler' from above to e-mail)
    >
    > Son of Col. Marvin J. Steele
    > WWII: 8th Air Force, 95th Bomb Group (Heavy), Horham, England
    > Never Turned Back on a Mission
    > 3 Distinguished Unit Citations (the only 8th Air Force Bomb Group to
    > be so recognized): 17 Aug 1943; Regensburg / 10 Oct 1943 Munster / 4
    > Mar 1944 Berlin
    > "First B-17s Over Berlin"
    >
    > Korea/Cold War: US Army Security Agency/Adj. General Corps: Postings
    > at Fts: Richardson, Devens, Rucker, Lawton, Oakland Army Terminal,
    > Thailand, Korea

    It is customary to keep sigs to four lines or less and to precede them with
    a line containing "-- ".

    --
    Sam Hughes
    Resident Psychopath

    Sam Hughes, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Christopher A. Steele

    Guest

    Sam Hughes wrote:

    > ...they
    > mix XHTML and HTML syntax, producing a mess.

    No, no Sam.
    XHTML is the SON of HTML and XML,
    WWII, gleam in eye of A. Turing........
    <snip 20 more lines of 'bio' terrorism>

    , Nov 14, 2004
  6. Christopher A. Steele

    Matt Probert Guest

    On 13 Nov 2004 14:11:36 -0800
    (Christopher A. Steele) broke off from drinking a cup of tea at
    http://groups.google.com to write:

    >Where can I go to gain a better understanding of the different
    >'conceptual designs' -- or innovations in functionality of design --
    >that are being persued on the net? For instance, Wikipedia is quite a
    >different animal than the typical website, and I'm curious about what
    >other 'concepts' or ideas are being used or experimented with.

    Try looking around.

    Matt

    --
    The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com

    Matt Probert, Nov 14, 2004
  7. Christopher A. Steele wrote:

    > I'm not very conversant with the terminology of web design (or perhaps
    > this is more a 'marketing' question?), but here goes.
    >
    > Where can I go to gain a better understanding of the different
    > 'conceptual designs' -- or innovations in functionality of design --
    > that are being persued on the net? For instance, Wikipedia is quite a
    > different animal than the typical website, and I'm curious about what
    > other 'concepts' or ideas are being used or experimented with.
    >
    > Christopher A. Steele
    >
    > (banish 'rambler' from above to e-mail)
    >
    > Son of Col. Marvin J. Steele
    > WWII: 8th Air Force, 95th Bomb Group (Heavy), Horham, England
    > Never Turned Back on a Mission
    > 3 Distinguished Unit Citations (the only 8th Air Force Bomb Group to
    > be so recognized): 17 Aug 1943; Regensburg / 10 Oct 1943 Munster / 4
    > Mar 1944 Berlin
    > "First B-17s Over Berlin"
    >
    > Korea/Cold War: US Army Security Agency/Adj. General Corps: Postings
    > at Fts: Richardson, Devens, Rucker, Lawton, Oakland Army Terminal,
    > Thailand, Korea

    Wow - shame you haven't seen any better ideas ...
    Considering the weekend (date) - I guess the other comments were
    exceptionally insesitive...

    Anyhow - www.CoolHomePages.com ( I think I haven't checked it) is the
    source I use when talking about all the different designs ...

    Gerry W ( Use my name at dergal dot c o m for emai, Nov 14, 2004
  8. Actually, "God almighty. Is that a sig or a feeble attempt at
    compensation for inadequacies elsewhere?" might not be too far from
    wrong.

    Years ago, when I was on Prodigy and Compuserve -- this was before
    all this fancy HTML/XML/whatever stuff -- I received a message from a
    gentleman who saw my name on a post and wondered if I was related to a
    Captain M. J. Steele, with whom, the writer said, "I had the pleasure
    of serving."

    I didn't respond to the writer ... too busy ... whatever. But I've
    always regretted not writing back. I would have liked to hear the
    story, whatever it was he had to tell.

    So recently I've added the 'sig' in the hope that some of those with
    whom he served might recognize the name, and write with another story
    about how my father took care of the young men and women who were
    risking their lives every day so we could live ours in peace, and who
    had no one else on base on whom they could rely for help. Doing so,
    after all, is the principal function of the Adjutant General on an
    Army base or Post.

    It may have been like the story of Capt. Steele, AGC (the only
    officer on a base aside from the base commander who can sign the
    commander's name) who, having learned that there was an Army dentist
    on base who was treating the troops WITHOUT any pain killers so he
    could learn -- in the dentists own words -- "if they were MEN." My
    father heard what the dentist was doing (an officer, BTW), interviewed
    him, and shipped him to Korea the next day, "to find out if HE was a
    man."

    Or the heuy helicopter pilot-trainee at Ft. Rucker in '66 who
    couldn't complete his training because his paperwork was purposefully
    'lost' by his company XO, thus preventing the pilot-to-be from
    finishing school. Capt. Steele found out about the situation, called
    the XO to his office for a short 'chat,' and the paperwork was found
    the next DAY. The pilot completed his training, and went on to save
    quite a few lives in Viet Nam, he and his UH-1. (I didn't know
    anything about this story until the pilot found me a few years ago and
    told me about it.)

    My brother, advised in the 50's by Lt. Steele to get involved with
    computers, worked with or on both the Advanced Research Projects
    Agency (APRA) and the ARPANET plan. I'm a bit slower, so I only got
    involved with computers (and the net, or what there was of it) in
    about '89 or so.

    I didn't have any idea there were parameters for 'sig' lines --
    having seen so many extremely long ones (usually associated with some
    kind of business, come to think of it). So, to the extent I can, I'll
    try and learn from this experience.

    During the last 15 years, I've met some really GREAT people on the
    net, and I've always tried to pay their kindnesses back by taking the
    time, and having the patience, to help others. What goes around truly
    does come around.

    Unfortunately, every once in a great, great while, I come across
    rude, unhelpful, immature, sophmoric people: I've no doubt you think
    -- with your immature sensibilities -- that those are kudos. And they
    almost certainly are.

    Christopher A. Steele, Nov 15, 2004