Inovking an executable from a brower using HTML

Dylan Sung

I have an executable file I created to extract data from text file, but I'd
like to invoke it from a HTML interface. Can anyone tell me how this is done
using HTML code? If not, can it be done using a simple java script ?

Thanks in advance.

Dyl.

mbstevens

I have an executable file I created to extract data from text file, but I'd
like to invoke it from a HTML interface. Can anyone tell me how this is done
using HTML code? If not, can it be done using a simple java script ?

Thanks in advance.

Dyl.

Most servers can use one of several languages
to run server side processes. If your program is in one of these
languages, you are ready to go. If not, your executable can be
called from one of these languages. Google for CGI, Perl, and
PHP. Other interfaces and languages are also available.

[Warning]: Allowing visitors to call programs on the server
can be dangerous to your site and the server machine.
Get up to speed on security before doing this.

Andy Dingley

Dylan said:
I have an executable file I created to extract data from text file, but I'd
like to invoke it from a HTML interface.

I have an executable file that re-formats your disk. Would you like me
to be able to invoke it on your computer from my web page ?

No? Then this is why HTML in general doesn't have the access rights
to go around invoking executables.

Can anyone tell me how this is done
using HTML code? If not, can it be done using a simple java script ?

If you're using a local HTML page, which probably needs to be loaded
from disk and not a server (for most modern browsers) then you should
be able to do this. Just use
and replace "..." with the path to your programe executable file,
including the .exe extension.

Practice this first with a nice simple JPG file.

A lot depends on what browser you use and how paranoid it is.

Dylan Sung

I have an executable file that re-formats your disk. Would you like me

Funnily enough I do too.
to be able to invoke it on your computer from my web page ?

Erm, no. I was wanting it for personal use.
No? Then this is why HTML in general doesn't have the access rights
to go around invoking executables.

If you're using a local HTML page, which probably needs to be loaded
from disk and not a server (for most modern browsers) then you should
be able to do this. Just use
and replace "..." with the path to your programe executable file,
including the .exe extension.

Practice this first with a nice simple JPG file.

A lot depends on what browser you use and how paranoid it is.

Thanks, I really should have done that in the first place.

<note to self: Duh!>

Cheers,
Dyl.