    using HTML code? If not, can it be done using a simple java script ?

    Thanks in advance.

    Dyl.

    Dylan Sung, Jul 12, 2006

  2. Dylan Sung

    mbstevens Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:45:32 +0100, Dylan Sung wrote:

    > I have an executable file I created to extract data from text file, but I'd
    > like to invoke it from a HTML interface. Can anyone tell me how this is done
    > using HTML code? If not, can it be done using a simple java script ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Dyl.

    Most servers can use one of several languages
    to run server side processes. If your program is in one of these
    languages, you are ready to go. If not, your executable can be
    called from one of these languages. Google for CGI, Perl, and
    PHP. Other interfaces and languages are also available.

    [Warning]: Allowing visitors to call programs on the server
    can be dangerous to your site and the server machine.
    Get up to speed on security before doing this.

    mbstevens, Jul 12, 2006

  3. Dylan Sung

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Dylan Sung wrote:
    > I have an executable file I created to extract data from text file, but I'd
    > like to invoke it from a HTML interface.

    I have an executable file that re-formats your disk. Would you like me
    to be able to invoke it on your computer from my web page ?

    No? Then this is why HTML in general doesn't have the access rights
    to go around invoking executables.

    > Can anyone tell me how this is done
    > using HTML code? If not, can it be done using a simple java script ?

    If you're using a local HTML page, which probably needs to be loaded
    from disk and not a server (for most modern browsers) then you should
    be able to do this. Just use
    and replace "..." with the path to your programe executable file,
    including the .exe extension.

    Practice this first with a nice simple JPG file.

    A lot depends on what browser you use and how paranoid it is.

    Andy Dingley, Jul 12, 2006
  4. Dylan Sung

    Dylan Sung Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Dylan Sung wrote:
    >> I have an executable file I created to extract data from text file, but
    >> I'd
    >> like to invoke it from a HTML interface.

    > I have an executable file that re-formats your disk. Would you like me

    Funnily enough I do too.

    > to be able to invoke it on your computer from my web page ?

    Erm, no. I was wanting it for personal use.

    > No? Then this is why HTML in general doesn't have the access rights
    > to go around invoking executables.
    >

    >> Can anyone tell me how this is done
    >> using HTML code? If not, can it be done using a simple java script ?

    > If you're using a local HTML page, which probably needs to be loaded
    > from disk and not a server (for most modern browsers) then you should
    > be able to do this. Just use
    > and replace "..." with the path to your programe executable file,
    > including the .exe extension.
    >
    > Practice this first with a nice simple JPG file.
    >
    > A lot depends on what browser you use and how paranoid it is.

    Thanks, I really should have done that in the first place.

    <note to self: Duh!>

    Cheers,
    Dyl.

    Dylan Sung, Jul 12, 2006