input attribute for the input tag?

David Wright

I just noticed that Dreamweaver is putting an input attribute in my input
tag:

<input name="agency" type="text" id="agency" value="(leave blank if regional
respondent)" size="50" maxlength="100" input="input" />

I have googled this but can't find anything but information on the input tag.

Also, what is the / doing at the end of the tag?

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit David Wright:
I just noticed that Dreamweaver is putting an input attribute in my
input tag:

Educated guess: It's used for Dreamweaver's internal bookkeeping and ignored
by any other software. Web editors have such features - which is _bad_ since
they thus rely on the principle "ignore unknown attributes", but some day
someone may create a browser or other program that recognizes the "unknown"
attribute in a particular meaning, and there you go. It also surprises
people, as we can see.
Also, what is the / doing at the end of the tag?

It's a holy incantation for worshipping XML. Probably, but far from
certainly, Dreamweaver generates XHTML markup in general.