    analysis with excel pivot table function. is it possible to do that?? if so,
    any sample for me as i am a new in designing pivot table with asp.net

    million thanks

    Grey, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Grey

    Prodip Saha Guest

    Grey,
    I don't know the architechture of your aspx project. One of the way you can achieve this by using an excel template file with -a dynamic data source, a pivot table and a pivot chart(if you need it as well). I did this by using a 3rd party excel writer tool called aspose.excel because I can run multiple instances without any problem. You should be able to use Excel Interop to accomplish this.

    The idea, in simple term, is-- overwrite the data source worksheet and set the option for the pivote table to refresh on data change. When you open the excel file, the pivot table is populated with new information.

    Hope this help.
    Prodip

    How to create a dynamic data source?
    Use a Dynamic Data Source

    You can use a dynamic formula to define the source range for a Pivot Table. As new items are added to the table, the named range will automatically expand.

    1. Name the Range

    1.. Choose Insert>Name>Define
    2.. Type a name for the range, e.g. Database
    3.. In the Refers To box, enter an Offset formula that defines the range size, based on the number of items in a column that doesn't contain any blank cells. , e.g.:
    =OFFSET(Data!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Data!$A:$A),7)
    In this example, the list is on a sheet named 'Data', starting in cell A1. The arguments used in this Offset function are:
    1.. Reference cell: Data!$A$1
    2.. Rows to offset: 0
    3.. Columns to offset: 0
    4.. Number of Rows: COUNTA(Data!$A:$A)