input iterator requirements in Table 72 in the Standard document

Discussion in 'C++' started by subramanian100in@yahoo.com, India, May 10, 2010.

  1. , India

    , India Guest

    In the ISO/IEC 14882:2003 document, in section '24.1.1 Input
    Iterators' in page 517, in Table 72, I need some clarifications/
    explanations.

    For the operation 'a == b', the 'semantics, pre/post conditions'
    column says:
    '== is an equivalence relation over its domain'
    Where can I find the definition of 'equivalence relation' in the
    standard document ? If it is not defined in this document, kindly
    provide its definition in this post.

    For the operation '(void)r++', the 'semantics, pre/post conditions'
    column says:
    'equivalent to (void)++r'
    Here, in '(void)r++', what does it mean to prefix 'r++' with (void)
    and what is meant by saying 'equivalent to (void)++r' ? If necessary
    give some example.

    Kindly explain.

    Thanks
    V.Subramanian

    , India, May 10, 2010

  2. , India

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On 10 mai, 19:15, ", India"
    <> wrote:
    > In the ISO/IEC 14882:2003 document, in section '24.1.1 Input
    > Iterators' in page 517, in Table 72, I need some clarifications/
    > explanations.
    >
    > For the operation 'a == b', the 'semantics, pre/post conditions'
    > column says:
    > '== is an equivalence relation over its domain'
    > Where can I find the definition of 'equivalence relation' in the
    > standard document ? If it is not defined in this document, kindly
    > provide its definition in this post.

    'Equivalence relation' is mathematical term. Use google or wikipedia
    to find definitions for terms that are not defined in documents that
    you read.

    Öö Tiib, May 10, 2010