input record seperator (equivalent of "$|" of perl)

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Peter said:

Thanks. A pity that there is no de.comp.lang.python, as for German posts
the "Standard/Standart" relation could be more accurate...

or-just-count-the-misplaces-apostrophs-ly yours, Reinhold

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Reinhold said:
Thanks. A pity that there is no de.comp.lang.python, as for German posts
the "Standard/Standart" relation could be more accurate...

or-just-count-the-misplaces-apostrophs-ly yours, Reinhold

s/misplaces/misplaced/

just-don't-try-to-write-a-perfect-posting-ly yours!

John Machin

Steven said:
John said:
Nick Coghlan wrote:
[snip]
delimeter.

Hey, Terry, another varmint over here!

No, no. He's talking about a deli-meter. It's the metric standard for
measuring subs and sandwiches. ;)

Nobody mention the wurst! I did once, but I think I got away with it.

Subtle distinction: A metER is a measuring device. A MetRE is a unit of
distance.

Jeff Shannon

John said:
Subtle distinction: A metER is a measuring device. A MetRE is a unit of
distance.

.... except in the US, where we stubbornly apply the same spelling to
both of those. (It figures that we Americans just ignore subtle
distinctions....)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

Steve Holden

John said:
Steven said:
John said:
Nick Coghlan wrote:
[snip]

delimeter.

Hey, Terry, another varmint over here!

No, no. He's talking about a deli-meter. It's the metric standard
for

measuring subs and sandwiches. ;)

Nobody mention the wurst! I did once, but I think I got away with it.

Subtle distinction: A metER is a measuring device. A MetRE is a unit of
distance.
So presumably a delimetre is the equivalent of just over three foot-long
subs? And that Monty Python pun was the wurst I've seen this weak.

regards
Steve

Nick Coghlan

John said:
Nick Coghlan wrote:
[snip]
delimeter.

Hey, Terry, another varmint over here!

Heh. Just don't get me started on the issues I have with typing apostrophes in
the right spot. My *brain* knows where they go, but for some reason it refuses
to let my fingers in on the secret. . .

Cheers,
Nick.

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou

Subtle distinction: A metER is a measuring device. A MetRE is a unit of
distance.

In this case, English (compared to American English) is closer to the
original "metron" [1]. Now, if only you people wrote the plural of
"parenthesis" as "parentheseis" and not "parentheses", that would ease a
lot my Greek English... :)

[1] through the French "mètre" of course; great job, those
revolutionaries did with the metric system. As Asimov put it, "how many
inches to the mile?"

Mike Meyer

Christos "TZOTZIOY" Georgiou said:
[1] through the French "mètre" of course; great job, those
revolutionaries did with the metric system. As Asimov put it, "how many
inches to the mile?"

Trivia question: Name the second most powerfull country on earth not
using the metric system for everything.

<mike

Andrew Dalke

Mike Meyer:
Trivia question: Name the second most powerfull country on earth not
using the metric system for everything.

The UK?

Before going there I thought they were a fully metric country.
But I saw weather reports in degrees F, distances in yards
and miles, and of course pints of beer.

Andrew
(e-mail address removed)

Steve Holden

Andrew said:
Mike Meyer:

The UK?

Before going there I thought they were a fully metric country.
But I saw weather reports in degrees F, distances in yards
and miles, and of course pints of beer.

Andrew
(e-mail address removed)
Plus the builders quite routinely ask suppliers for things like "a meter
of two (inches) by four (inches)". They don;t care that they're getting
the closest metric equivalent, to them a 2 x 4 is still a 2 x 4.

regards
Steve

JanC

Jeff Shannon schreef:
... except in the US, where we stubbornly apply the same spelling to
both of those. (It figures that we Americans just ignore subtle
distinctions....)

Or there is some Dutch influence... ;)
(In Dutch it's "meter" for both meanings.)

Dennis Lee Bieber

Before going there I thought they were a fully metric country.
But I saw weather reports in degrees F, distances in yards
and miles, and of course pints of beer.
Yeah, but those pints are bigger than our pints...

Roughly 20 fl.oz. vs 16 fl.oz.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Plus the builders quite routinely ask suppliers for things like "a meter
of two (inches) by four (inches)". They don;t care that they're getting
the closest metric equivalent, to them a 2 x 4 is still a 2 x 4.
And what do they get? A normal finished 2x4 runs about 1.5x3.5
inches...

A 1x4 is 0.75x3.5

Alex Martelli

Mike Meyer said:
Trivia question: Name the second most powerfull country on earth not
using the metric system for everything.

Well, then, just name the 2nd most powerful country on earth, period
(I'm not going to get myself in trouble by guessing whether said 2nd
country is China, Russia, "Europe" [not a country, I know;-)], ...).

TVs and other displays are sold as "20 inches" (or whatever) everywhere,
printers' resolutions are always given in pixels per inch, etc.

Alex

Steve Holden

Dennis said:
And what do they get? A normal finished 2x4 runs about 1.5x3.5
inches...

A 1x4 is 0.75x3.5
Who knows, but htey don;t complain about it. In the UK also the sizes
refer to the rough cut, before finish planing.

regards
Steve