input redirection

MadHatter

Hello,

is there any command line switch or anything else which would allow me
to use the standard input as the source for a script? so that I could
type perl [option] hit return and type out the script and allow it to
execute? I know about using file redirection "<", but I don't want to
put the source on a file and redirect it's contents to the program,
instead I want to directly type the contents of the script.

nobull

is there any command line switch or anything else which would allow me
to use the standard input as the source for a script?

-

This newsgroup does not exist (see FAQ). Please do not start threads here.

Roy Johnson

is there any command line switch or anything else which would allow me
to use the standard input as the source for a script?

perldoc perlrun

will tell you to give perl the option "-" to read the program from
stdin. Use comp.lang.perl.misc instead of this newsgroup.

MadHatter

-

This newsgroup does not exist (see FAQ). Please do not start threads here.

if it does not exist how can I post to it?
I'm asking a perl question... that has to do with the execution of a
perl script, using the perl binary... how much more perl oriented can
it get? sheesh!

nobull

if it does not exist how can I post to it?

Some misconfigured newsservers still think it exists.

Google still archives it.

I have written to Google.com support to point out that their service
should warn people before allowing them to post to non-existant
newsgroups.

Perhaps you should write too.

If they get enough people complaining that Google has allowed them to
post to non-existant newsgroups without warning perhaps they'll do
something.
I'm asking a perl question... that has to do with the execution of a
perl script, using the perl binary... how much more perl oriented can
it get? sheesh!

You appear to be halucinating that someone said your question was
off-topic. If this newsgroup had existed your question would have
been on-topic. Although maybe it would have deserved an RTFM response
"perlrun - how to execute the Perl interpreter".

I didn't bother to tell you to RTFM and just gave you the answer.
After all the answer to your question could not have been any shorter,
it was only one character long!

Roy Johnson

if it does not exist how can I post to it?

You seem to have overlooked his parenthetical comment.
I'm asking a perl question...

He didn't say you weren't. More people will read your question if you
post in comp.lang.perl.misc, which is the valid newsgroup for perl
questions.

http://dbforums.com/arch/96/2003/1/649376
Yes, on some sites it exists, but it is not a "standard" group
anymore, so
it does not exist on many news servers.

Messages sent to comp.lang.perl are not seen by nearly as many people
as
the suggested groups, and if other people who do not see that group
try to
respond (i.e. if they see it because it's cross posted to a visible
group)
then their response may not arrive at all on any groups because the
error
(from their server's point of view) will prevent the message being
posted.

comp.lang.perl is effectively a private group, just like the ones you
may
have set up at work, or like the local groups set up on a freenet like
this one.

MadHatter

perldoc perlrun

will tell you to give perl the option "-" to read the program from
stdin. Use comp.lang.perl.misc instead of this newsgroup.

lol, I just noticed the - in the first reply, and what I thought was a
reply was his sig. sorry about the tizzy.

thanks for the info. I'll post in the misc next time. thanks all.