input revisted

Paul

I'm sorry for bringing this up once again but Francis' explanation is simply
wrong, ref:

"However note that the C++ Standard (which in context is what we are
talking about) talks about input functions. A function is evaluated and
in the case of operator >> the result is a pointer value which can, when
necessary, be converted to a bool. I think it is not unreasonable to
think that an input function does input, though in this case the input
seems to be to a variable. I think the Standard is written that way
because the 'input functions' are not required to get external input, it
may be provided from within the program. Yes it might have been better
to have called them extraction functions and if you feel strongly you
can go to comp.std.C++ and raise a defect report. That is where such
word games belong."

With:
std::cin>>object;
Input as a verb, which he uses the word, is not input to a variable.
Input is stream input, the 'input'(noun) is passed from the stream to the
varaible, but this is not generally considered 'input', this is an
assignment to a variable. The C++ Standard is *not* written in such a way,
that is simply incorrect.