input revisted

Discussion in 'C++' started by Paul, Feb 18, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I'm sorry for bringing this up once again but Francis' explanation is simply
    wrong, ref:

    "However note that the C++ Standard (which in context is what we are
    talking about) talks about input functions. A function is evaluated and
    in the case of operator >> the result is a pointer value which can, when
    necessary, be converted to a bool. I think it is not unreasonable to
    think that an input function does input, though in this case the input
    seems to be to a variable. I think the Standard is written that way
    because the 'input functions' are not required to get external input, it
    may be provided from within the program. Yes it might have been better
    to have called them extraction functions and if you feel strongly you
    can go to comp.std.C++ and raise a defect report. That is where such
    word games belong."

    With:
    std::cin>>object;
    Input as a verb, which he uses the word, is not input to a variable.
    Input is stream input, the 'input'(noun) is passed from the stream to the
    varaible, but this is not generally considered 'input', this is an
    assignment to a variable. The C++ Standard is *not* written in such a way,
    that is simply incorrect.

    Paul, Feb 18, 2011