    in the different browsers?

    Thanks
    , Oct 8, 2006

  2. Scripsit :

    > I am trying to size an input control for a form. I sized it to
    > "size=100" .

    A hundred characters is quite a lot.

    > It look fine in IE

    I don't believe you. Show us the URL.

    > but its seems longer in Firefox.

    That's not surprising. <input size="100"> means that the width is 100 times
    the "average width" of character - a sloppy concept, with many plausible and
    even more implausible interpretations.

    > I tried to change it to size=100%. but it doesnt change.

    <input size="100%"> violates HTML specifications, so all bets are off. (It
    is not invalid, though, unless you use a customized DTD.)

    > The input control is placed in the table cell.

    Why, oh why?

    > How do I make it
    > "equal" in the different browsers?

    Why should it be "equal"? Do you expect people to compare its appearance on
    different browsers and sue you if they detect a difference?

    You _might_ want to use <input style="width:100%"> or something similar.
    This is at least a possible solution. Maybe you have a question for it.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 8, 2006

    Re: Input size in firefox and MSIE

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit :
    >
    > > I am trying to size an input control for a form. I sized it to
    > > "size=100" .

    > A hundred characters is quite a lot.
    >
    > > It look fine in IE

    > I don't believe you. Show us the URL.
    >
    > > but its seems longer in Firefox.

    > That's not surprising. <input size="100"> means that the width is 100 times
    > the "average width" of character - a sloppy concept, with many plausible and
    > even more implausible interpretations.
    >
    > > I tried to change it to size=100%. but it doesnt change.

    > <input size="100%"> violates HTML specifications, so all bets are off. (It
    > is not invalid, though, unless you use a customized DTD.)
    >
    > > The input control is placed in the table cell.

    > Why, oh why?
    >
    > > How do I make it
    > > "equal" in the different browsers?

    > Why should it be "equal"? Do you expect people to compare its appearance on
    > different browsers and sue you if they detect a difference?
    >
    > You _might_ want to use <input style="width:100%"> or something similar.
    > This is at least a possible solution. Maybe you have a question for it.
    >
    > --
    > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Thanks, maybe i did get the width wrong. It was meant for width not
    inout size.
    , Oct 8, 2006