input text highlighting problem

Xavier Bourguignon

Hi

I have a strange problem concerning some input fields in my html.
These fields are of type text, and when I enter text in them it is
then impossible to select the text with the mouse by click and drag,
The only way I can select the text is to double click in the input
text field. This behaviour occurs under IE but not under Mozilla.

Has anybody encountered the same problem, and has anyone got a remedy
to this problem?

cheers

rf

Xavier Bourguignon said:
Hi

I have a strange problem concerning some input fields in my html.
These fields are of type text, and when I enter text in them it is
then impossible to select the text with the mouse by click and drag,
The only way I can select the text is to double click in the input
text field. This behaviour occurs under IE but not under Mozilla.

Has anybody encountered the same problem, and has anyone got a remedy
to this problem?

URL. Do you have an onclick handler in there?

Cheers
Richard.

rf

Yes I do, to handle some other stuff.

Do you return false from that handler? If so then the input field may not
get the mousedown event so can not start the "highlight part of my text"
function.

URL?

Cheers
Richard.

Xavier Bourguignon

I'm afraid the URL is on an intranet, you won't be able to access it.
The input box is on an iframe and the ifram has a onmousemove handler,
if I get read of that handler then I can select the text,
unfortunately I need the onmouse move to drag the iframe around the
screen, I guess I have not choice.. but thanks anyway for your time on
this matter.

rf

[top posting corrected for the third time]

I'm afraid the URL is on an intranet, you won't be able to access it.

Then post it somewhere.

<at the garage>
My car does not work, what is wrong?
Let me look at it.
No, it's locked up at my mothers place.
The input box is on an iframe and the ifram has a onmousemove handler,
if I get read of that handler then I can select the text,
unfortunately I need the onmouse move to drag the iframe around the
screen, I guess I have not choice.. but thanks anyway for your time on
this matter.

It would have been handy if you provided this information up front, rather
than peicemeal.

Your onmousemove handler in the iframe is somehow interfering with the input
fields internal onmousemove handler although how I cannot imagine. The input
field should do it's stuff before the event bubbles up to the iframe.

Are you returning false from your iframes event handler. Try returning true
everywhere.

Cheers
Richard.