input text in table on liquid layout form in IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by 0xDeadBeef, Oct 17, 2007.

  1. 0xDeadBeef

    0xDeadBeef Guest

    Hi All,

    As you may have guessed, I'm using input text elements in a table in a
    liquid layout window under IE. I wish the table and the input element
    to be 50% of the width of the window. The markup is shown below and
    is posted at:

    http://www.mountaindog.com/stuff/test.html

    This simple markup works as I expect under Firefox but under IE the
    table wants to show all the text in the input element. The table is
    unable to shrink the input element. As I shrink the width of the
    window, the table stops shrinking when the text fills the input
    element. This is bad. I would like IE to behave as Firefox does.

    Does anyone know how to get around this IE behavior? Thanks for your
    help.

    Len

    <head>
    .testtable { width: 50%; }
    .testtext { width: 98%; }
    </head>
    <input type="text" class="testtext"
    value="01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789" />

    0xDeadBeef, Oct 17, 2007

  2. 0xDeadBeef

    Bergamot Guest

    0xDeadBeef wrote:

    > http://www.mountaindog.com/stuff/test.html
    >
    > This simple markup works as I expect under Firefox but under IE the
    > table wants to show all the text in the input element. The table is
    > unable to shrink the input element.

    Try
    table-layout: fixed;

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 17, 2007

  3. 0xDeadBeef

    0xDeadBeef Guest

    On Oct 16, 9:43 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > 0xDeadBeef wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.mountaindog.com/stuff/test.html

    > > This simple markup works as I expect under Firefox but under IE the
    > > table wants to show all the text in the input element. The table is
    > > unable to shrink the input element.

    > Try
    > table-layout: fixed;
    >
    > --
    > Berg

    Nope, I see no difference in behavior under Firefox or IE. Firefox is
    still cool, and IE is still wrong. Nice try, though. Any other
    ideas?

    Len

    0xDeadBeef, Oct 17, 2007
  4. 0xDeadBeef

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    0xDeadBeef <> wrote:

    > On Oct 16, 9:43 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    > > 0xDeadBeef wrote:
    > >
    > > >http://www.mountaindog.com/stuff/test.html

    > > > This simple markup works as I expect under Firefox but under IE the
    > > > table wants to show all the text in the input element. The table is
    > > > unable to shrink the input element.

    > > Try
    > > table-layout: fixed;
    > >
    > > --
    > > Berg

    > Nope, I see no difference in behavior under Firefox or IE. Firefox is
    > still cool, and IE is still wrong. Nice try, though. Any other
    > ideas?

    While waiting for Bergamot (he's asleep at the moment, don't
    bother him) why not first look at

    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.moun
    taindog.com%2Fstuff%2Ftest.html>

    and then

    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning
    =2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mountaindog.com%2Fstuff%2Ftest.html>

    and get it right so he is in a good mood when he awakens?

    Also in the meantime, get rid completely of your

    .testtext {
    width: 98%;

    and it should behave better in IE.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Oct 17, 2007
  5. 0xDeadBeef

    0xDeadBeef Guest

    On Oct 16, 11:56 pm, 0xDeadBeef <> wrote:
    > On Oct 16, 9:43 pm, Bergamot <> wrote:
    >
    > > 0xDeadBeef wrote:

    > > >http://www.mountaindog.com/stuff/test.html

    > > > This simple markup works as I expect under Firefox but under IE the
    > > > table wants to show all the text in the input element. The table is
    > > > unable to shrink the input element.

    > > Try
    > > table-layout: fixed;

    > > --
    > > Berg

    > Nope, I see no difference in behavior under Firefox or IE. Firefox is
    > still cool, and IE is still wrong. Nice try, though. Any other
    > ideas?
    >
    > Len

    No, skip that, it works great. Thank you very much.

    Len

    0xDeadBeef, Oct 17, 2007