input text in table on liquid layout form in IE

0

0xDeadBeef

Hi All,

As you may have guessed, I'm using input text elements in a table in a
liquid layout window under IE. I wish the table and the input element
to be 50% of the width of the window. The markup is shown below and
is posted at:

http://www.mountaindog.com/stuff/test.html

This simple markup works as I expect under Firefox but under IE the
table wants to show all the text in the input element. The table is
unable to shrink the input element. As I shrink the width of the
window, the table stops shrinking when the text fills the input
element. This is bad. I would like IE to behave as Firefox does.

Does anyone know how to get around this IE behavior? Thanks for your
help.

Len

<head>
.testtable { width: 50%; }
.testtext { width: 98%; }
</head>
<input type="text" class="testtext"
value="01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789" />

0

0xDeadBeef

Try
table-layout: fixed;

Nope, I see no difference in behavior under Firefox or IE. Firefox is
still cool, and IE is still wrong. Nice try, though. Any other
ideas?

Len

dorayme

0xDeadBeef said:
Nope, I see no difference in behavior under Firefox or IE. Firefox is
still cool, and IE is still wrong. Nice try, though. Any other
ideas?

While waiting for Bergamot (he's asleep at the moment, don't
bother him) why not first look at

<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.moun
taindog.com%2Fstuff%2Ftest.html>

and then

<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning
=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mountaindog.com%2Fstuff%2Ftest.html>

and get it right so he is in a good mood when he awakens?

Also in the meantime, get rid completely of your

.testtext {
width: 98%;

and it should behave better in IE.

0

0xDeadBeef

Nope, I see no difference in behavior under Firefox or IE. Firefox is
still cool, and IE is still wrong. Nice try, though. Any other
ideas?

Len

No, skip that, it works great. Thank you very much.

Len