<input type=file , tag.

Ersin Gençtürk

hi ,

I need to customize <input type=file , tag.

I find a way to do that : on the client side by javascript and css first , I
am hiding the fileupload object , then I am calling the click event of
fileupload object.This opens the select files dialog box of file upload and
user will be able to select the file that he wants to upload.But it seems
that internet explorer does not allow uploading files selected by using this
method.Because when the user clicks submit button.It resets the selected
filename in the file upload tag.But I know that it works (for example
google's new mail service : gmail works like this) what am I missed ? is
anybody knows how to do this ?

Curt_C [MVP]

what specifically are you trying to customize on the control?
You are VERY limited with it due to security concerns.

Ersin Gençtürk

yes I know from the same place : gmail implemented it.I have viewed the
sourcecode of gmail , it is basically jscript code and in the client it
renders the html dynamically, I don't have enough time to fully examine the
source codes , but I found that they do this by hiding the type=file tag by
display:none

Sekhar said:
I know we are very limited to customize on the <input type=file> control.
But still, gmail has implemented a file attachment without showing the
browse button.
How were they able to do it? Their page is pure HTML with Javascript -
very intelligent coding - doesn't even allow you to view source of HTML.
I was trying all possible ways for more than half a day to figure it out
but in vein. Could someone check it out at gmail and give us a feedback?