    can this be modified for password. and be able to suport
    other browsers like netscape. If not I will ditch netscape

    Paul

    Otuatail, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Otuatail

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:>
    Otuatail said:

    > I am using an input type Text for a password

    whats wrong with type="password"?

    --
    brucie
    12/December/2003 10:42:59 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 12, 2003

  3. brucie <> wrote:

    > whats wrong with type="password"?

    If you ask me, it prevents the user from seeing what he types and
    thereby makes it more probable that he needs to type it twice, or
    several times, thereby increasing security risks. Of course, it also
    makes it awkward to log in. This gets rather mad if the password is
    long - the new (!) system of public libraries in the Helsinki area
    treats both the customer id (14 digits) and the PIN code (4 digits) as
    passwords!

    Risks are also increased by the fallacious belief that such effects
    actually protect the data. In reality, the password is sent unencrypted
    over the network, just as other fields are.

    On the other hand, maybe in this case bad practice becomes good
    practice by its being so common. That is, users are _accustomed_ to
    seeing their input munged into *********** when typing a password, and
    they might even think that a page is not secure if it doesn't do such
    munging!

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Otuatail

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:Xns944FB13B7224Bjkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>
    Jukka K. Korpela said:

    >> whats wrong with type="password"?

    > If you ask me, it prevents the user from seeing what he types

    and the person looing over his shoulder

    > This gets rather mad if the password is long - the new (!) system of
    > public libraries in the Helsinki area treats both the customer id
    > (14 digits)

    that is the fault of the paranoid freak that thought it was a good idea
    for 14 digit IDs to be passwords, not the fault of how browsers render
    the the password type.

    > [...] That is, users are _accustomed_ to seeing their input munged
    > into *********** when typing a password

    i would be more comfortable if nothing was echoed to the screen

    --
    brucie
    13/December/2003 01:45:09 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Otuatail

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:brcofc$209pn$-berlin.de>
    brucie said:

    >> If you ask me, it prevents the user from seeing what he types

    > and the person looing over his shoulder

    ^^^^^^
    looking

    although it is even more inappropriate to loo over someones shoulder and
    may even be a criminal offense.

    --
    brucie
    13/December/2003 01:58:02 am kilo

    brucie, Dec 12, 2003
  6. brucie <> wrote:

    >>> whats wrong with type="password"?

    >> If you ask me, it prevents the user from seeing what he types

    > and the person looing over his shoulder

    Well, yes, that's the theory. But would it be safe to use system that
    requires a password if someone can look over your shoulder? In fact, if
    someone could look over your shoulder to see what's on your screen, he
    will also see the movements of your fingers. And that's something that
    you don't think about. So "hiding" the password is illusionary and
    makes you less careful.

    >> This gets rather mad if the password is long - the new (!) system
    >> of public libraries in the Helsinki area treats both the customer
    >> id (14 digits)

    > that is the fault of the paranoid freak that thought it was a good
    > idea for 14 digit IDs to be passwords, not the fault of how
    > browsers render the the password type.

    Well, that system is clueless enough on its own. Never assume
    malevolence or psychosis when normal human stupidity is a feasible
    explanations.

    Anyway, long passwords often exist. And people who think about
    input type="password" the naive way will keep using them even in cases
    where its inadequacy _should_ be very evident.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Otuatail

    rf Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post <news:Xns944FB13B7224Bjkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31>
    > Jukka K. Korpela said:
    >
    > >> whats wrong with type="password"?

    > > If you ask me, it prevents the user from seeing what he types

    > and the person looing over his shoulder

    That would be the silly old cow that runs the library ?

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 12, 2003