Inputting Greek letter in textarea

rf

Roy said:
Richard,

Truly... is it not enough to convince that Windows is a Toy O/S?

Er. what?

Apart from the fact that that sentence does not semantically scan I really
don't know what your point is.
I have run
SuSE

What is a SuSE?
Speaking of which, Vista

Vista. What is a Vista?
will be worse in terms of hardware requirements
[1]... much worse, so brace yourself (or spend more money on a new machine
with new software licences).

I don't need to pay for Microsoft for specific operating system licences.
You *are* talking about Microsoft, aren't you?

[bill gates joke]
Stop. *friendly smile* That's from Brad Templeton (at least a variant of
it). He hates it when people copy that.

Er, what? I can't tell a public domain joke? :-(

Cheers
Richard.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [rf] on Tuesday 30 August 2005 13:50 \__

Hi Richard,

I hope I did not appear cold in my previous message. It was no intended to
appear this way.
Er. what?

Apart from the fact that that sentence does not semantically scan I really
don't know what your point is.

I don't proofread properly, so I left out the word "you" before "Windows". I
placed my reply too far below the text it was referring to, which discussed
the bloated and opaque Windows Registry system.

What is a SuSE?

It is one of the (if not just "the") most reliable Linux distributions. Els
got it installed quite recently as well.

Vista. What is a Vista?

It is the next version of Windows (formerly called Longhorn) which is due to
be released in September 2006 if I recall correctly. It is currently in
beta 1, or maybe alpha.

will be worse in terms of hardware requirements
[1]... much worse, so brace yourself (or spend more money on a new
[machine
with new software licences).

I don't need to pay for Microsoft for specific operating system licences.
You *are* talking about Microsoft, aren't you?

Yes, buying Windows-based hardware is rather expensive these days.

[bill gates joke]
Stop. *friendly smile* That's from Brad Templeton (at least a variant of
it). He hates it when people copy that.

Er, what? I can't tell a public domain joke? :-(

*smile* I know, I know...

Brad speaks a lot about public domain too... in fact, his page on copyrights
is almost enough to pay his bills owing to advertisements.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

And his _very_ recent mentioning of the income aspect:

http://ideas.4brad.com/node/264

Roy

rf

Roy said:
__/ [rf] on Tuesday 30 August 2005 13:50 \__

Hi Richard,

I hope I did not appear cold in my previous message. It was no intended to
appear this way.

Not at all. I simply did not understand you.
I don't proofread properly, so I left out the word "you" before "Windows". I
placed my reply too far below the text it was referring to, which discussed
the bloated and opaque Windows Registry system.

Er, well, OK, I still don't understand you.
It is one of the (if not just "the") most reliable Linux distributions. Els
got it installed quite recently as well.

Oh. I don't do linux.
It is the next version of Windows (formerly called Longhorn) which is due to
be released in September 2006 if I recall correctly. It is currently in
beta 1, or maybe alpha.

I have never heard it called Vista. I will stand corrected when Microsoft
posts me (as they do) my beta copy. I always thought it was calles Longhorn.

Oh, do come on. Absolute rubbish.

[following unsnipped for clarity, or lack of]
[1]... much worse, so brace yourself (or spend more money on a new
[machine
with new software licences).

I don't need to pay for Microsoft for specific operating system licences.
You *are* talking about Microsoft, aren't you?

Yes, buying Windows-based hardware is rather expensive these days.

What, may I ask, is "Windows-based hardware"?

In any case I stated that I do not have to spend extra money on windows
*software*. As to the hardware I have a very low end 386 machine that runs
windows XP quite admaribly. I also have a number of other "hardware"
machines that happen to run windows. They are not, however, "windows
hardware" machines.

You are beginning to sound like a standard microsoft basher.
*smile* I know, I know...

Brad speaks a lot about public domain too... in fact, his page on copyrights
is almost enough to pay his bills owing to advertisements.

Who bloody cares. He does not own that joke. The bloke in the pub that told
it to me owns it!!

<snip links>

Yada yada

Cheers
Richard.

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [rf] on Tuesday 30 August 2005 14:36 \__
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Er, well, OK, I still don't understand you.

You advised Els to re-install Windows and I replied, perhaps in an
over-enthusiatic fasion, that it might be better for her to use SuSE Linux,
which she already has installed (as am I). There are many arguments, even
within the Windows community, that the Registry mechanism needs to be
revised (I have used Windows since version 3.1 so am not just blowing air).
I have a Windows computer here in the office and the O/S was installed over
a year ago, barely to have anything installed. I have slowly seen the
performance becoming so terrible that the machine is practically crippled
to function at the speed of a Pentium 1 or 2. I am brutally honest.

Re-installation is very time-consuming and the need for it should not be
necessarily be defended. There are alternative and you needn't throw them
out the window because you do not know them well.

Oh. I don't do linux.

I respect that. I hope that Els will at least consider and respect my
opinion on the matter.

I have never heard it called Vista. I will stand corrected when Microsoft
posts me (as they do) my beta copy. I always thought it was calles
Longhorn.

I think you were feeling annoyed from this point onwards and quite unfairly
so. Longhorn was the name that persisted for years. It was bound to be the
next version of Windows, which would be released in 2006. About a month and
a half ago, Microsoft changed the name altogether. Longhorn is no more. It
has been called Vista ever since the announcement. It has reached virually
any newspaper too and the name Longhorn is deprecated.

Oh, do come on. Absolute rubbish.

[following unsnipped for clarity, or lack of]

Have you seen a preview/screenshot of Vista (formerly Longhorn)? It
incorporates many of Apple's visual effects, e.g. transparencies and shadow
casting. Hence, it requires a lot from the hardware it runs on. That is
what people who run the beta version would say.

[1]... much worse, so brace yourself (or spend more money on a new
[machine
with new software licences).

I don't need to pay for Microsoft for specific operating system licences.
You *are* talking about Microsoft, aren't you?

I think there was a misunderstanding here. Most vendors sell computers that
are Windows-friendly and Windows-compatible. They also have the operating
system pre-installed, so a decent portion of the cost of the machine goes
to the software manufacturer.

What, may I ask, is "Windows-based hardware"?

My aplogies. I used a poor term to refer to a 'Windows machine' or 'Windows
box' or 'Windows PC'. There is not 'Windows hardware' which is how I
mistakenly phrased it.

In any case I stated that I do not have to spend extra money on windows
*software*. As to the hardware I have a very low end 386 machine that
runs windows XP quite admaribly. I also have a number of other "hardware"
machines that happen to run windows. They are not, however, "windows
hardware" machines.

Correct. The ambiguity or unclarity was my fault.

You are beginning to sound like a standard microsoft basher.

The "standard Microsoft basher" will just yell out "Win sux" or "Windows is
for my mom". I have used Windows intensively for many years and I still do.
I try to convey and tell you about the bad experiences I have had with
Windows, bloated registries being one of the most frustrating ones.

[bill gates joke]

Who bloody cares. He does not own that joke. The bloke in the pub that
told it to me owns it!!

<snip links>

Yada yada

Cheers
Richard.

Hope there are no hard feelings,

Roy

dungping

Let me rephrase the question. I would like to type a letter in the
textarea, but have another letter appear. For instance, when typing
the letter 'a', 'b' will appear.

The reason is that I am designing a keyboard layout for another
language. When people open the web page, and type in the textarea,
they would have chance to 'feel' the design. Of course, I will put the
graph of keyboard layout in the page.

Besides letters and symbols in standard keyboard for English, there are
several foreign symbols which will be represented by html escapes or
unicode. In my previous posting, I used the two Greek letters just as
example. If those Greek letters can be displayed, will other foreign
characters.

A Microsoft-based office in Russia is designing a new keyboard in which
each key is a small computer monitor. It can display layouts of all
languages, both natural and artificial. People don't have to memorize
layouts. Pressing a key, qwerty will disappear, and dvorak emerges.
Russia will put the keyboard in market in 2006. This is why new layout
may have a chance.

Thanks for discussion.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
Was writing/constructing/debugging some new software/firmware/hardware the
other day, on the notebook. Required me to press Ctrl Mouse left button
(that takes care of one hand) and then press a certain button on my hardware
device (two hands used up) and *at the same time* press the insert key. What
to do.

Use your nose!

Jukka K. Korpela

dungping said:
I would like to type a letter in the
textarea, but have another letter appear. For instance, when typing
the letter 'a', 'b' will appear.

What you mean is probably that you would like your _visitors_ to be able to
do so when filling out a form on your page. You also seem to postulate that
their keyboards have keys for Latin letters but not the letters they would
actually want to enter.
The reason is that I am designing a keyboard layout for another
language.

Fine. Then HTML is not the right tool. Use a tools like keyboard layout
generator (e.g. the one available from Microsoft for free; googling should
tell you about it and a few other alternatives).
When people open the web page, and type in the textarea,
they would have chance to 'feel' the design.

Isn't it better to make the layout available for downloading so that they
can try it wherever they want, not just in the excuse for a surrogate of
user interface that browsers provide when displaying a form?
Besides letters and symbols in standard keyboard for English, there are
several foreign symbols which will be represented by html escapes or
unicode.

I can't see how HTML escapes relate to keyboard design.
A Microsoft-based office in Russia is designing a new keyboard in which
each key is a small computer monitor.

It's an interesting idea - I once knew I guy who tried to patent it decades
ago. Let's hope it will become economically feasible some day. But it won't
solve all keyboard problems.