Insert file html

Alistair George

Hi.
I realise I can make a page .php and include a file thusly:
<?php include("thehomebooked.html"); ?>
But this method makes the file appear at the top of the current page,
when I wanted it below all the buttons and so on at the top.
Is there an alternative, or better way to insert a file into preferably
an html page?
Thanks,
Alistair.

Blinky the Shark

Alistair said:
Hi.
I realise I can make a page .php and include a file thusly:
<?php include("thehomebooked.html"); ?>
But this method makes the file appear at the top of the current page,
when I wanted it below all the buttons and so on at the top.
Is there an alternative, or better way to insert a file into preferably
an html page?

Move that code lower in the page?

dorayme

Alistair George said:
Hi.
I realise I can make a page .php and include a file thusly:
<?php include("thehomebooked.html"); ?>
But this method makes the file appear at the top of the current page,
when I wanted it below all the buttons and so on at the top.
Is there an alternative, or better way to insert a file into preferably
an html page?
Thanks,
Alistair.

Put your include exactly where you want it to be in the html. I
put my footer includes right at the bottom and my css does not
tell the footer to go anywhere but the bottom. I will put it
another way. When you put in the include, imagine you are putting
in the actual included text. Where the text would go, put the
include instruction (which basically is just a "please, php
engine, go fetch the following text and stick it in here - and I
mean literally here")

Alistair George

dorayme said:
Put your include exactly where you want it to be in the html. I
put my footer includes right at the bottom and my css does not
tell the footer to go anywhere but the bottom. I will put it
another way. When you put in the include, imagine you are putting
in the actual included text. Where the text would go, put the
include instruction (which basically is just a "please, php
engine, go fetch the following text and stick it in here - and I
mean literally here")
OK sounds good but I'm using WYSIWYG editor. A really nice editor, but
its not html so you can only go to the page properties and edit the html
there. Unfortunately, does not matter where you put the php script, it
still overwrites the original page.

mbstevens

OK sounds good but I'm using WYSIWYG editor. A really nice editor, but
its not html so you can only go to the page properties and edit the html
there. Unfortunately, does not matter where you put the php script, it
still overwrites the original page.

That is not a really nice editor, no matter what you paid for it.
A free editor will download in minutes.

dorayme

Alistair George said:
OK sounds good but I'm using WYSIWYG editor. A really nice editor, but
its not html so you can only go to the page properties and edit the html
there. Unfortunately, does not matter where you put the php script, it
still overwrites the original page.

I don't know what you are doing then, sorry. All i can suggest is
this. Don't call the includes .html, they are just text files,
no? And, if you must, write your main html in your program and
open the resulting file in any plain text editor (not a WSIWIG
anything). And manually type in or paste the include instruction
as suggested above. Use .txt or .inc, it does not really matter
to name the includes. The includes instruction will cause the php
engine on the server to fetch the text file and stick it in palce
of the instruction... Best I can do here?

John Hosking

Alistair said:
dorayme said:
Alistair George said:
I realise I can make a page .php and include a file thusly:
<?php include("thehomebooked.html"); ?>
But this method makes the file appear at the top of the current page,
when I wanted it below all the buttons and so on at the top.

Put your include exactly where you want it to be in the html. [...]
OK sounds good but I'm using WYSIWYG editor.

By which you mean to say you're using a WYSINWYG editor.
A really nice editor,

Except for the part that makes it unusable.
but its not html so you can only go to the page
properties and edit the html there.

If you can't actually modify the HTML, then it is absolutely not a
useful tool for producing HTML.
Unfortunately, does not matter where you put the php script, it
still overwrites the original page.

Time to upgrade to a more advanced editing tool, like Notepad.

Alistair George

Time to upgrade to a more advanced editing tool, like Notepad.
Purist answers ;-)

I have learnt several programming languages and I just want to get a few
pages on the web without going through the learning process again, hence
using a WYSIWYG tool which generally I find pretty good.

Nevertheless I understand where you are coming from and appreciate your
suggestions.
When I need to use a html editor I have been using NVU.
Alistair.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Alistair George:
I have learnt several programming languages

So what? HTML isn't a programming language. PHP is, but PHP doesn't seem to
be your problem here.
and I just want to get a
few pages on the web without going through the learning process
again,

Then ask someone to do the job for you.
hence using a WYSIWYG tool which generally I find pretty good.

You seem to have said that it has an essential problem that cannot be
circumvented.
When I need to use a html editor I have been using NVU.

That's fine I guess. But I'm afraid NVU generates code that puts IE into
Quirks Mode. You can fix this using Notepad, though.