insert into a db...

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Brad Pears, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Brad Pears

    Brad Pears Guest

    Our graphic designer has just finished redeveloping our website. On the
    site, we use SSL to secure the area where a user enters their personal
    information to order items from us. (we do not do many transactions - maybe
    1 per day...) We are a log home mfg company so they would only order plan
    books, maybe a video etc...

    When the user clicks "Submit Order", we want to encrypt each data item
    (because of new legislation governing customer personal info etc...) and
    write a record to an access db. From here it will be imported into our
    Customer DB leads database...

    I do not use ASP but program in VB 6 and Access 2000. ASP looks similiar in
    many ways...

    Does someone have a good ASP script for encrypting data? And, if so, is it
    fairly strong encryption?

    Also, is there any trick to writing an "insert" SQL script in ASP or is it
    exactly the same as I would do in VB or Access? Maybe someone has an
    "insert" script handy they could pass along including the command to
    actually execute it?

    Thanks,

    Brad
    Brad Pears, Aug 25, 2004

  2. Is it a requirement to have encrypted data in the database itself? Where I
    work, there are also many guidelines that we have to follow. The US's OCC
    (http://www.occ.gov/) has lots of rules like this that they're always
    auditing our Web site security. While we must encrypt all data that is sent
    from the browser to the server when it is anything remotely customer
    related, (i.e. via httpS), we are not required to store the data encrypted
    in the database itself.

    As far as coding things the same in VB and ASP, well, that depends on what
    you're doing in VB. I assume that you'll be using VB Script as your ASP
    language, yes? So, the code should be pretty similar. Browse around some
    of the FAQs at www.aspfaq.com for some code samples. One specific one that
    you may want to read prior to duplicating VB coding style in an ASP page is
    this one. http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2191

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Aug 25, 2004

  3. Brad Pears

    joker Guest

    I'd also suggest the following articles as well.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2080
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2183

    joker, Aug 25, 2004
  4. Brad Pears

    Steven Burn Guest

    Don't forget the Windows Script documentation

    http://surl.co.uk/?785

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn