insert multiple records

shank

I have a recordset that contains multiple records of product a user is
purchasing. For clarity, I converted the recordset fields to variables. I
need to take that entire recordset and insert it into another table on a
remote server. The below code only inserts 1 record. How do I change the
code to get all records inserted?
thanks!

<%
Dim DataConn2
Set DataConn2 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
DataConn2.Open MM_kasKSS_STRING
SQL = "INSERT INTO wsOrderDetails (OrderID, OrderNo, Description, Qty,
PriceEach, Priceline) "
SQL = SQL & "Values ('" & iod_OrderID & "', '" & iod_OrderNo & "', '" &
iod_Description & "', " & iod_Qty & ", " & iod_PriceEach & ", " &
iod_Priceline & ")"
DataConn2.Execute(SQL)
%>

Chris Barber

Run multiple INSERT INTO statements.

or .... use a disconnected recordset, manipulate it by adding records and
setting the field values and then pass it back using BatchUpdate to get the
updates back to the database [which is how I would do it].

Chris.

[...]

.... then again, I already have a custom DLL that I wrote some time ago that
gets me disconnected recordset for Access and SQL Server allowing me to
concentrate on the program as opposed to the ADO.

If you want it may be useful - not sure) then your welcome to it (VB
project and optional MSI installer):
http://ftp.belper.blue-canoe.net/RSAccess/

I have updated it for my own development to handle DBFs and also to allow
specification of the cursor location so that you can elect to get an active
server-side cursor recordset. If you need either of these then email me and
I'll update the ZIP and MSI.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

[...]

You already have an example - just loop through the array or recordset of
values that you have to insert and run your current code for each one.

Chris.

do you have an example of this?
thanks

Chris Barber said:
[...]

I'm not that familiar with looping through recordsets. On the following
code, I get this error...

Expected end of statement
Dim i As Integer
------^
What do I need to change?
thanks
<%
Dim DataConn2
Dim i As Integer
Set DataConn2 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
DataConn2.Open MM_kasKSS_STRING
For i = 0 To wsOrderDetails.ListCount -1 Step 1
SQL = "INSERT INTO wsOrderDetails (OrderID, OrderNo, Description, Qty,
PriceEach, Priceline) "
SQL = SQL & "Values ('" & iod_OrderID & "', '" & iod_OrderNo & "', '" &
iod_Description & "', " & iod_Qty & ", " & iod_PriceEach & ", " &
iod_Priceline & ")"
Next i
DataConn2.Execute(SQL)
%>

Chris Barber said:
[...]

Hmm.

OK.

1. You can't Dim *as* in ASP - everything is a variant.

So you now have:

<%
Dim DataConn2
Dim i
Set DataConn2 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
DataConn2.Open MM_kasKSS_STRING
For i = 0 To wsOrderDetails.ListCount -1 Step 1
SQL = "INSERT INTO wsOrderDetails (OrderID, OrderNo, Description, Qty,
PriceEach, Priceline) "

'Where are the values for iod_OrderID etc. coming from?
'You need to set them here to be values relevant to the current index of
wsOrderDetails.

SQL = SQL & "Values ('" & iod_OrderID & "', '" & iod_OrderNo & "', '" &
iod_Description & "', " & iod_Qty & ", " & iod_PriceEach & ", " &
iod_Priceline & ")"
Next i
DataConn2.Execute(SQL)
%>

What is wsOrderDetails (I know that its obviously a table in your database)?

Chris.

Chris Barber said:
[...]

1) I changed wsOrderDetails to rsOrderDetails which is the recordset I am
getting records from. That was a typo on my part.

2) I am now getting the following error...
Expected end of statement
Next i
-----^
How do I fix that?
thanks!

<%
Dim DataConn2
Dim i
Set DataConn2 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
DataConn2.Open MM_kasKSS_STRING
For i = 0 To rsOrderDetails.ListCount -1 Step 1

Chris Barber said:
Run multiple INSERT INTO statements.

or .... use a disconnected recordset, manipulate it by adding records and
setting the field values and then pass it back using BatchUpdate to
get
the
updates back to the database [which is how I would do it].

Chris.

I have a recordset that contains multiple records of product a user is
purchasing. For clarity, I converted the recordset fields to
variables.

Chris Barber

Try this:

<%
Dim DataConn2
Set DataConn2 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
DataConn2.Open MM_kasKSS_STRING
'Presumes that rsOrderDetails is a recordset with 1 or more records that
contain order data.
With rsOrderDetails
If Not(.EOF) Then .MoveFirst
'Loop through the recordset and apply the data using an INSERT INTO sql
statement.
Do Until .EOF
'Get the relevant recordset field values.
iod_OrderID = .Fields("FieldName).Value
iod_OrderNo = .Fields("FieldName).Value
iod_Description = .Fields("FieldName).Value
iod_Qty = .Fields("FieldName).Value
iod_PriceEach = .Fields("FieldName).Value
iod_PriceLine = .Fields("FieldName).Value
'Construct the SQL
SQL = "INSERT INTO wsOrderDetails (OrderID, OrderNo, Description,
Qty, PriceEach, Priceline) "
SQL = SQL & "Values ('" & iod_OrderID & "', '" & iod_OrderNo & "',
'" & iod_Description & "', " & iod_Qty & ", " & iod_PriceEach & ", &
iod_Priceline & ")"
'Execute the SQL
DataConn2.Execute(SQL)
.MoveNext
Loop
End With
%>

Obviously you have to change the fieldnames to be whatever they should be.

NB: Learn the value of indentation and comments when doing ASP - your
scripts will be spaghetti and unfathomable without it. Also, never ever
release a script or ASP page that doesn't use Option Explicit at the top -
you *will* regret it if you don't.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Chris Barber said:
Run multiple INSERT INTO statements.

or .... use a disconnected recordset, manipulate it by adding records and
setting the field values and then pass it back using BatchUpdate to
get
the
updates back to the database [which is how I would do it].

Chris.

I have a recordset that contains multiple records of product a user is
purchasing. For clarity, I converted the recordset fields to
variables.

Bob Lehmann

Remove your "i".

Bob Lehmann

Chris Barber said:
[...]

'"

Chris Barber

An watch out for my glaring type (copied and pasted):

... = .Fields("FieldName).Value

should be:

... = .Fields("FieldName").Value

with FieldName replaced by the real field name from rsOrderDetails.

Chris.

Try this:

<%