Inserting Page breaks when printing an html document

judgejudy

I would like to insert a new page character in an html document or
something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
page for a html document.

Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, judgejudy
I would like to insert a new page character in an html document or
something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
page for a html document.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?How_do_I_force

Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

You can *suggest* it with CSS:

#newpage {page-break-before: always;}

Disco Octopus

judgejudy said:
I would like to insert a new page character in an html document or
something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
page for a html document.

Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

search for
css page-break-after
and
css page-break-before

Jose

I would like to insert a new page character in an html document or
something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
page for a html document.

Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

You are making the unwarranted assumption that the printer will print
what the viewer is supposed to see, whether the viewer is seeing it or
not. The text flows differently, the window is resizable while the
printed page is not, there are many considerations which limit the
desirability of forcing a page break.

I wish browsers would have better previews and better control over page
layout, so that web designers could not force stuff on me.

Jose

frederick

judgejudy said:
I would like to insert a new page character in an html document or
something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
page for a html document.

Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

Although CSS could be used in theory for this, I'd suggest offering a
PDF version if high quality print presentation is needed.

The problem is that, as with screen display, you have no control over
what font will be used for printing, and hence even with an enforced
point size you couldn't guarantee where a page would end. Also,
depending on who uses your site, you hit problems with North American
vs. ISO paper sizes.

Oh, and there's also the issue of people adjusting margins in their
browser's print preview...