    something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
    page for a html document.

    Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

    judgejudy, Apr 20, 2006

  2. judgejudy

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, judgejudy
    <> declared in alt.html:

    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?How_do_I_force

    > Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

    You can *suggest* it with CSS:

    #newpage {page-break-before: always;}

    --
    Mark Parnell
    My Usenet is improved; yours could be too:

    Mark Parnell, Apr 20, 2006

  3. judgejudy wrote:

    > I would like to insert a new page character in an html document or
    > something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
    > page for a html document.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

    search for
    css page-break-after
    and
    css page-break-before

    --
    if you pay for your gym memebership, use it

    Disco Octopus, Apr 20, 2006
  4. judgejudy

    Jose Guest

    > I would like to insert a new page character in an html document or
    > something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
    > page for a html document.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

    You are making the unwarranted assumption that the printer will print
    what the viewer is supposed to see, whether the viewer is seeing it or
    not. The text flows differently, the window is resizable while the
    printed page is not, there are many considerations which limit the
    desirability of forcing a page break.

    I wish browsers would have better previews and better control over page
    layout, so that web designers could not force stuff on me.

    Jose
    --
    The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

    Jose, Apr 20, 2006
  5. judgejudy

    Guest

    judgejudy wrote:
    > I would like to insert a new page character in an html document or
    > something to that effect. It would force a printer to print on a new
    > page for a html document.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether this is possible or how I would go about it?

    Although CSS could be used in theory for this, I'd suggest offering a
    PDF version if high quality print presentation is needed.

    The problem is that, as with screen display, you have no control over
    what font will be used for printing, and hence even with an enforced
    point size you couldn't guarantee where a page would end. Also,
    depending on who uses your site, you hit problems with North American
    vs. ISO paper sizes.

    Oh, and there's also the issue of people adjusting margins in their
    browser's print preview...

    --
    AGw.

    , Apr 20, 2006