Instaling a VB6 Web Services client

Reg Jacklin

Hi,

I have a VB6 app that communicates with a .NET Web Service. I've set up a
very simple "Hello World" service to test all this with. It works fine on my
development machine, with the Web Service running on a test machine

Whe I run the Ghost installer setup on a target machine, it registers the
..tlb file for the interop DLL okay. I can see it in my VB references.

But when I step through the code, I get a "Can't create object" error on
the New statement that interop dll.

I've put both the .tlb and the .dll file in the setup and made sure that
it's not compiled in debug mode, but it doesn't seem to help.

I also tried using a SOAP client instead of an interop dll, but the
installer couldn't even register the SOAP dll on the target machine. I've
looked at the SOAP redeployment stuff, but it looks seriously complicated,
so I don't want to go there unless I have to.

I suspect that these problems could revolve around not having XML on the
target machine, but that redeployment also looks pretty scary. Ditto about
not going there unless I have to.

Has anyone been here? Is there an obvious answer I'm missing? Is there an
easy way to deploy VB6 clients for .NET Web Services?

Thanks in advance.

Reg Jacklin