    from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

    Thanks in advance
    Blnukem

    Blnukem, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Blnukem wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be having
    > a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to switch
    > into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
    > from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

    Yes, two things:

    First: try to learn a few things about shells in general ;-)
    Second: Leave out the % character, i.e. just perl Makefile.PL

    HTH
    CA

    Carsten Aulbert, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Blnukem

    Sam Holden Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:48:27 GMT, Blnukem <> wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be having
    > a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to switch
    > into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
    > from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

    The "% " is just the prompt, you don't type it just type:

    perl Makefile.PL

    --
    Sam Holden

    Sam Holden, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Blnukem

    Blnukem Guest

    "Carsten Aulbert" <> wrote in message

    > Blnukem wrote:
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be

    having
    > > a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to

    switch
    > > into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl

    Makefile.PL"
    > > from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any

    ideas?

    > Yes, two things:
    >
    > First: try to learn a few things about shells in general ;-)
    > Second: Leave out the % character, i.e. just perl Makefile.PL
    >
    > HTH
    > CA

    Yes, I should have mentioned I tried that to! an I get "Can't open perl
    script"Makefile.pl: No such file or directory" but if I type ls it shows
    Makefile.pl. I also tried more explicit path "perl
    /home/bill/cgi/Makefile.pl" and also get "No such file or directory".

    Blnukem

    Blnukem, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Blnukem

    Toby Guest

    Blnukem wrote:

    > Yes, I should have mentioned I tried that to! an I get "Can't open perl
    > script"Makefile.pl: No such file or directory" but if I type ls it shows

    Linux is case sensitive. Capital (M & PL) letters, and lowercase
    (akefile.)

    perl Makefile.PL

    > Makefile.pl. I also tried more explicit path "perl
    > /home/bill/cgi/Makefile.pl" and also get "No such file or directory".

    --
    morec0ffeeplease * at * yahoo * com

    Toby, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Blnukem

    Blnukem Guest

    "Sam Holden" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:48:27 GMT, Blnukem <> wrote:
    > > Hi All
    > >
    > > I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be

    having
    > > a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to

    switch
    > > into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl

    Makefile.PL"
    > > from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any

    ideas?

    > The "% " is just the prompt, you don't type it just type:
    >
    > perl Makefile.PL
    >

    > --
    > Sam Holden

    Still a no go any more ideas?

    Blnukem

    Blnukem, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Blnukem

    Blnukem Guest

    Got it!

    It was Makefile.PL
    Not Makefile.pl

    Thanx All
    Blnukem

    Blnukem, Jan 11, 2004
  8. Blnukem

    gnari Guest

    "Blnukem" <> wrote in message

    > "Carsten Aulbert" <> wrote in message
    > > Second: Leave out the % character, i.e. just perl Makefile.PL
    > >

    > Yes, I should have mentioned I tried that to! an I get "Can't open perl
    > script"Makefile.pl: No such file or directory" but if I type ls it shows
    > Makefile.pl. I also tried more explicit path "perl
    > /home/bill/cgi/Makefile.pl" and also get "No such file or directory".

    can you clarify:
    you tried: perl Makefile.PL (with uppercase .PL)
    and you got: Can't open perl script"Makefile.pl: No such file or directory"
    (with lowercase .pl in the error) ?
    also you say that ls showed Makefile.pl (lowercase .pl)

    I wonder if filenames have been case-transformed.
    it is the CGI module you are installing, isn't it?
    did you copy the files by hand from some other machine?

    usually there is a Makefile.PL, and you run
    perl Makefile.PL which creates Makefile
    after that you do make

    isn't the CGI module already installed on RedHat9 ?

    gnari

    gnari, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Blnukem

    Ben Morrow Guest

    "Blnukem" <> wrote:
    > Got it!
    >
    > It was Makefile.PL
    > Not Makefile.pl

    FYI: It is also CGI.pm, not cgi.pm.

    Ben

    --
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    we grow old because we stop playing.

    Ben Morrow, Jan 11, 2004
  10. Blnukem

    Tony Curtis Guest

    >> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:17:14 GMT,
    >> "Blnukem" <> said:

    > Got it! It was Makefile.PL Not Makefile.pl

    Use the CPAN shell to install modules, it'll make things a lot
    easier.

    (Note that CGI.pm [case matters] is a standard part of the
    perl distribution so you've already got it.)

    hth

    Tony Curtis, Jan 11, 2004
  11. On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Tony Curtis wrote:

    > (Note that CGI.pm [case matters] is a standard part of the
    > perl distribution so you've already got it.)

    Right: you've already got _a_ version of it, at least. But
    traditionally the linux distributions were quite conservative in which
    Perl version they packaged (5.6 versions were being packaged far
    beyond their best-by date IMHO), and Perl was somewhat conservative
    about which CGI.pm version they packaged too.

    RedHat 9 isn't _too_ bad, but its Perl version is 5.8.0 (if they had
    switched at the earliest chance to 5.8.1, we'd have had much fewer
    puzzled users who stumbled inadvertently into utf8, for example), and
    the version of CGI.pm packaged with that seems to be:

    $ perl -MCGI -e 'print $CGI::VERSION'
    2.89

    whereas Stein's own latest version is 2.98, which _could_ make quite a
    difference when the chips are down. See
    http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/#new

    all the best

    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 11, 2004
  12. Blnukem

    Web Surfer Guest

    [This followup was posted to comp.lang.perl.misc]

    In article <LucMb.131216$>,
    says...
    > Hi All
    >
    > I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be having
    > a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to switch
    > into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
    > from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    > Blnukem

    You were not supposed to type the "%" character. It is a command prompt.

    Web Surfer, Jan 11, 2004
  13. Blnukem

    Tony Curtis Guest

    >> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:22:20 +0000,
    >> "Alan J. Flavell" <> said:

    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Tony Curtis wrote:
    >> (Note that CGI.pm [case matters] is a standard part of the
    >> perl distribution so you've already got it.)

    > Right: you've already got _a_ version of it, at least.

    I've seen postings here in the past that indicated standard
    modules were inexplicably missing from perl installations on
    providers' hosting machines, so my statement was made with
    that thought uppermost. I completely agree about ensuring
    CGI.pm is up to date and thus my suggestion to use
    CPAN::shell() since the OP was having problems doing it by
    hand.

    (Just want to clarify what I said.)

    Tony Curtis, Jan 11, 2004
  14. On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Tony Curtis wrote:

    > >> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:22:20 +0000,
    > >> "Alan J. Flavell" <> said:

    > > On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Tony Curtis wrote:
    > >> (Note that CGI.pm [case matters] is a standard part of the
    > >> perl distribution so you've already got it.)

    > > Right: you've already got _a_ version of it, at least.

    > I've seen postings here in the past that indicated standard
    > modules were inexplicably missing from perl installations on
    > providers' hosting machines,

    Good point. Sorry that I hadn't picked that side of the issue up.

    > so my statement was made with
    > that thought uppermost. I completely agree about ensuring
    > CGI.pm is up to date

    Thanks for posting the clarification!

    all the best

    Alan J. Flavell, Jan 11, 2004
  15. Blnukem

    pkent Guest

    In article <LucMb.131216$>,
    "Blnukem" <> wrote:

    > into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
    > from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

    The % is a convention to indicate a normal-user prompt, and I've seen
    '$' used too. '#' generally indicates the superuser prompt. So it means
    that you type 'perl Makefile.PL'. Note that you probably only need to
    become root to do the 'make install' step (if you're doing a normal
    module installation, always read the instructions, etc)

    Remove the tea to reply

    pkent, Jan 13, 2004
  16. pkent wrote:
    > In article <LucMb.131216$>,
    > "Blnukem" <> wrote:
    >

    >>into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
    >>from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

    > The % is a convention to indicate a normal-user prompt, and I've seen
    > '$' used too.

    As a rule, % is used for a csh/tcsh prompt, while $ is used for the prompt
    of a shell in the Bourne family.

    Chris Mattern

    Chris Mattern, Jan 14, 2004