Instaling cgi.pm on Redhat 9

Blnukem

Hi All

I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be having
a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to switch
into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Blnukem

Carsten Aulbert

Blnukem said:
Hi All

I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be having
a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to switch
into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

Yes, two things:

First: try to learn a few things about shells in general ;-)
Second: Leave out the % character, i.e. just perl Makefile.PL

HTH
CA

Sam Holden

Hi All

I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be having
a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to switch
into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

The "% " is just the prompt, you don't type it just type:

perl Makefile.PL

Blnukem

Carsten Aulbert said:
Yes, two things:

First: try to learn a few things about shells in general ;-)
Second: Leave out the % character, i.e. just perl Makefile.PL

HTH
CA

Yes, I should have mentioned I tried that to! an I get "Can't open perl
script"Makefile.pl: No such file or directory" but if I type ls it shows
Makefile.pl. I also tried more explicit path "perl
/home/bill/cgi/Makefile.pl" and also get "No such file or directory".

Blnukem

Toby

Blnukem said:
Yes, I should have mentioned I tried that to! an I get "Can't open perl
script"Makefile.pl: No such file or directory" but if I type ls it shows

Linux is case sensitive. Capital (M & PL) letters, and lowercase
(akefile.)

perl Makefile.PL

gnari

Blnukem said:
Yes, I should have mentioned I tried that to! an I get "Can't open perl
script"Makefile.pl: No such file or directory" but if I type ls it shows
Makefile.pl. I also tried more explicit path "perl
/home/bill/cgi/Makefile.pl" and also get "No such file or directory".

can you clarify:
you tried: perl Makefile.PL (with uppercase .PL)
and you got: Can't open perl script"Makefile.pl: No such file or directory"
(with lowercase .pl in the error) ?
also you say that ls showed Makefile.pl (lowercase .pl)

I wonder if filenames have been case-transformed.
it is the CGI module you are installing, isn't it?
did you copy the files by hand from some other machine?

usually there is a Makefile.PL, and you run
perl Makefile.PL which creates Makefile
after that you do make

isn't the CGI module already installed on RedHat9 ?

gnari

Tony Curtis

Got it! It was Makefile.PL Not Makefile.pl

Use the CPAN shell to install modules, it'll make things a lot
easier.

(Note that CGI.pm [case matters] is a standard part of the
perl distribution so you've already got it.)

hth

Alan J. Flavell

(Note that CGI.pm [case matters] is a standard part of the
perl distribution so you've already got it.)

Right: you've already got _a_ version of it, at least. But
traditionally the linux distributions were quite conservative in which
Perl version they packaged (5.6 versions were being packaged far
beyond their best-by date IMHO), and Perl was somewhat conservative
about which CGI.pm version they packaged too.

RedHat 9 isn't _too_ bad, but its Perl version is 5.8.0 (if they had
switched at the earliest chance to 5.8.1, we'd have had much fewer
puzzled users who stumbled inadvertently into utf8, for example), and
the version of CGI.pm packaged with that seems to be:

$ perl -MCGI -e 'print $CGI::VERSION'
2.89

whereas Stein's own latest version is 2.98, which _could_ make quite a
difference when the chips are down. See
http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/#new

all the best

Web Surfer

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.perl.misc]

Hi All

I'm trying to install cgi.pm on my new Redhat 9 box and I seem to be having
a problem (my first linux box). The instructions with cgi.pm say to switch
into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Blnukem

You were not supposed to type the "%" character. It is a command prompt.

Tony Curtis

(Note that CGI.pm [case matters] is a standard part of the
perl distribution so you've already got it.)
Right: you've already got _a_ version of it, at least.

I've seen postings here in the past that indicated standard
modules were inexplicably missing from perl installations on
providers' hosting machines, so my statement was made with
that thought uppermost. I completely agree about ensuring
CGI.pm is up to date and thus my suggestion to use
CPAN::shell() since the OP was having problems doing it by
hand.

(Just want to clarify what I said.)

Alan J. Flavell

(Note that CGI.pm [case matters] is a standard part of the
perl distribution so you've already got it.)
Right: you've already got _a_ version of it, at least.

I've seen postings here in the past that indicated standard
modules were inexplicably missing from perl installations on
providers' hosting machines,

Good point. Sorry that I hadn't picked that side of the issue up.
so my statement was made with
that thought uppermost. I completely agree about ensuring
CGI.pm is up to date

Thanks for posting the clarification!

all the best

pkent

Blnukem said:
into the directory where the files are located and type "% perl Makefile.PL"
from the console. When I do that I get "bash: fg: %: no such job" any ideas?

The % is a convention to indicate a normal-user prompt, and I've seen
'$' used too. '#' generally indicates the superuser prompt. So it means
that you type 'perl Makefile.PL'. Note that you probably only need to
become root to do the 'make install' step (if you're doing a normal
module installation, always read the instructions, etc)

Chris Mattern

pkent said:
The % is a convention to indicate a normal-user prompt, and I've seen
'$' used too.

As a rule, % is used for a csh/tcsh prompt, while $ is used for the prompt
of a shell in the Bourne family.

Chris Mattern