    and _NOT_ under perldir/site/lib/[MODULE]

    How they are made this? And Why?

    Thomas
    Thomas Steinbach, Feb 13, 2009

  2. Thomas Steinbach

    Larry Gates Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 04:52:00 +0100, Thomas Steinbach wrote:

    > Hello NG,
    >
    > if I install new modules with the cpan
    > shell (windows), the modules will be installed
    > and stored under perldir/site/lib/[MODULE]
    > and not under perldir/lib/[MODULE] like the "base"
    > system which was installed after compiling perl
    > and use dmake install.
    >
    > But if I look at ActiveStates Layout and
    > other diestributions, they have additional
    > modules installed under perldir/lib/[MODULE]
    > and _NOT_ under perldir/site/lib/[MODULE]
    >
    > How they are made this? And Why?
    >

    > Thomas

    Hello Thomas,

    I've been struggling with some of your same questions but achieved a minor
    breakthrough tonight.

    I downloaded a recognizable, small module (Acme::something) and then
    searched for it. I installed a dos window in this "fortunate place."

    C:\Perl\site\lib>dir
    Volume in drive C has no label.
    Volume Serial Number is 942A-AD55

    Directory of C:\Perl\site\lib

    02/13/2009 01:15 AM <DIR> .
    02/13/2009 01:15 AM <DIR> ..
    02/13/2009 01:09 AM <DIR> Acme
    02/13/2009 01:09 AM <DIR> auto
    01/30/2009 10:06 PM <DIR> DateTime
    12/29/2008 10:39 PM <DIR> HTML
    02/13/2009 01:15 AM 1,425 perl4.lnk
    01/23/2007 04:15 PM 31 sitecustomize.pl
    2 File(s) 1,456 bytes
    6 Dir(s) 66,651,992,064 bytes free

    C:\Perl\site\lib>

    You don't need perldir; you need the actual dir where activestate is
    looking for this stuff. Peace.
    --
    larry gates

    /* This bit of chicanery makes a unary function followed by
    a parenthesis into a function with one argument, highest precedence. */
    -- Larry Wall in toke.c from the perl source code
    Larry Gates, Feb 13, 2009