install modules for specific python version

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brendan Miller, Feb 1, 2009.

    Brendan Miller, Feb 1, 2009

  2. Brendan Miller

    John Machin Guest

    On Feb 1, 12:00 pm, Brendan Miller <> wrote:

    > I have several version of python running side by side on my ubuntu
    > install (2.5,2.6,3.0).
    >
    > I'm installing a module with a setup.py script, in this case
    > logilab-common, so that I can get pylint going. However, I need to
    > install into python 2.6, but by default it picks out 2.5 and throws
    > things in the site packages for that version.
    >
    > Is there a standard way to specify what version of python you want to
    > install into?

    Quite generally, if you want to install a module into Python X.Y, use
    Python X.Y to run the setup.py script.

    E.g. on Windows I'd do
    directory-containing-setup.py> c:\python26\python setup.py install

    Just do the equivalent on ubuntu.

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, Feb 1, 2009