Install modules with no root privilegies

Alfons Nonell-Canals

Hello,
Install python modules in a linux computer is really easy, it is because
the module is a package of the distribution or because the python
installation is really easy. But, in both situations, you need root
privilegies.

I would like to know how to install modules only for one user, with no
root privilegies. Do you know if it is possible and easy. I would like
to add that i need some modules only for my user and incly for one
progam.

Thanks in advance!

Alfons.

--
------------
Alfons Nonell-Canals, PhD

http://alfons.elmeuportal.cat
http://www.selenocisteina.info

Philipp Pagel

Alfons Nonell-Canals said:
Install python modules in a linux computer is really easy, it is because
the module is a package of the distribution or because the python
installation is really easy. But, in both situations, you need root
privilegies.
I would like to know how to install modules only for one user, with no
root privilegies. Do you know if it is possible and easy.

Yes, there is. You can choose among two strategies referred to as "home scheme"
and "prefix scheme" in the "Installing Python Modules" documentation:

http://docs.python.org/install/index.html

Have a look at Section 3 "Alternate installation".

cu
Philipp

Diez B. Roggisch

Philipp said:
Yes, there is. You can choose among two strategies referred to as "home
scheme" and "prefix scheme" in the "Installing Python Modules"
documentation:

http://docs.python.org/install/index.html

Have a look at Section 3 "Alternate installation".

That's waaaaaaaaay much more than is actually needed, as thus each user
would end up with a different installation.

Setting the PYTHONPATH-env-variable to a user writable location allows e.g.
easy_install and friends to install into that location. And installing
virtualenv globally, everybody can create a "local"
site-packages-directory.

Diez

Jorgen Grahn

That's waaaaaaaaay much more than is actually needed, as thus each user
would end up with a different installation.

The "home scheme", you mean. It seems to me that this is exactly what
the poster wants -- mess with a bunch of modules without having to
consider anyone else's needs.
Setting the PYTHONPATH-env-variable to a user writable location allows e.g.
easy_install and friends to install into that location.

Yes, but the users have to trust everyone with write access to that
place. Someone could replace a module with a trojan horse, or simply
with a newer version which isn't compatible, and things would break.

Sometimes this is OK, but sometimes you only trust root and yourself.
And installing
virtualenv globally, everybody can create a "local"
site-packages-directory.

Cannot comment -- I haven't used it.

/Jorgen