    already v.5.8.4 installed.

    thanks

    , Jun 30, 2007

  2. Mumia W. Guest

    On 06/30/2007 04:25 PM, wrote:

    > I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
    > server.
    > Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
    > already v.5.8.4 installed.
    >
    > thanks

    The instructions are not necessarily eaaasy, but they are in the source.

    You probably want to read README, README.solaris, INSTALL and the output
    from "./Configure --help"

    Mumia W., Jul 1, 2007

  3. Mark Clements, Jul 1, 2007

    On Jul 1, 11:29 am, Mark Clements <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
    > > server.
    > > Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
    > > already v.5.8.4 installed.

    > > thanks

    > You can avoid the compilation stage by downloading a Solaris package from
    >
    > http://www.sunfreeware.com/
    >
    > eg
    >
    > http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc10.html#perl
    >
    > Mark

    hello Mark,

    So when I downloaded from sunfreeware and install the software, I
    would have just to point to perl?

    , Jul 1, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > On Jul 1, 11:29 am, Mark Clements <>
    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
    >>> server.
    >>> Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
    >>> already v.5.8.4 installed.
    >>> thanks

    >> You can avoid the compilation stage by downloading a Solaris package from
    >>
    >> http://www.sunfreeware.com/
    >>
    >> eg
    >>
    >> http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc10.html#perl
    >>
    >> Mark

    > hello Mark,
    >
    > So when I downloaded from sunfreeware and install the software, I
    > would have just to point to perl?

    Pretty much. The relevant page says

    **
    The Perl Language System - installs in /usr/local. Important Note -
    Solaris comes with a its own version of perl in /usr/bin. You may wish
    to use this version rather than the version on sunfreeware.com. If you
    do install this perl and want to use it rather than the Sun one, you
    will need to have /usr/local/bin in your PATH before /usr/bin.
    **

    Your scripts containing a #! line will need to refer to the perl
    installed in /usr/local/bin/perl rather than the perl in /usr/bin, the
    version of which will vary with Solaris version and possibly maintenance
    release (is a while since I've had a Solaris box to play with).

    Mark

    Mark Clements, Jul 1, 2007

    On Jul 1, 5:21 pm, Mark Clements <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On Jul 1, 11:29 am, Mark Clements <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> You can avoid the compilation stage by downloading a Solaris package from

    > >>http://www.sunfreeware.com/

    > >> eg

    > >>http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc10.html#perl

    > >> Mark

    > > hello Mark,

    > > So when I downloaded from sunfreeware and install the software, I
    > > would have just to point to perl?

    > Pretty much. The relevant page says
    >
    > **
    > The Perl Language System - installs in /usr/local. Important Note -
    > Solaris comes with a its own version of perl in /usr/bin. You may wish
    > to use this version rather than the version on sunfreeware.com. If you
    > do install this perl and want to use it rather than the Sun one, you
    > will need to have /usr/local/bin in your PATH before /usr/bin.
    > **
    >
    > Your scripts containing a #! line will need to refer to the perl
    > installed in /usr/local/bin/perl rather than the perl in /usr/bin, the
    > version of which will vary with Solaris version and possibly maintenance
    > release (is a while since I've had a Solaris box to play with).
    >
    > Mark- Hide quoted text -

    Thank you for your help

    , Jul 1, 2007