install of perl 5.8.8

rogv24

I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
server.
Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
already v.5.8.4 installed.

thanks

Mumia W.

I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
server.
Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
already v.5.8.4 installed.

thanks

The instructions are not necessarily eaaasy, but they are in the source.

You probably want to read README, README.solaris, INSTALL and the output
from "./Configure --help"

Mark Clements

hello Mark,

So when I downloaded from sunfreeware and install the software, I
would have just to point to perl?
Pretty much. The relevant page says

**
The Perl Language System - installs in /usr/local. Important Note -
Solaris comes with a its own version of perl in /usr/bin. You may wish
to use this version rather than the version on sunfreeware.com. If you
do install this perl and want to use it rather than the Sun one, you
will need to have /usr/local/bin in your PATH before /usr/bin.
**

Your scripts containing a #! line will need to refer to the perl
installed in /usr/local/bin/perl rather than the perl in /usr/bin, the
version of which will vary with Solaris version and possibly maintenance
release (is a while since I've had a Solaris box to play with).

Mark

rogv24

Pretty much. The relevant page says

**
The Perl Language System - installs in /usr/local. Important Note -
Solaris comes with a its own version of perl in /usr/bin. You may wish
to use this version rather than the version on sunfreeware.com. If you
do install this perl and want to use it rather than the Sun one, you
will need to have /usr/local/bin in your PATH before /usr/bin.
**

Your scripts containing a #! line will need to refer to the perl
installed in /usr/local/bin/perl rather than the perl in /usr/bin, the
version of which will vary with Solaris version and possibly maintenance
release (is a while since I've had a Solaris box to play with).

Mark- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your help