install packages with pip to older Python versions

Jabba Laci

Hi,

I have Python 2.7 on my system. Today I wanted to try Google App
Engine but it runs on Python 2.5 at Google so I installed this version
on my machine next to v2.7 to avoid compatibility problems. However,
when I start the Python shell v2.5 and try to import something from
the GAE SDK (for instance "from google.appengine.ext import webapp"),
I get an error: "ImportError: No module named webob". (Note that with
v2.7 I don't have this problem.)

So, how can I install packages for a specific version of Python (here,
v2.5)? With 2.7 I use "sudo pip install <package_name>".

Thanks,

Laszlo

alex23

So, how can I install packages for a specific version of Python (here,
v2.5)? With 2.7 I use "sudo pip install <package_name>".

It's amazing what you can find when you look at the documentation:
http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/index.html

"You can use pip install --upgrade SomePackage to upgrade to a newer
version, or pip install SomePackage==1.0.4 to install a very specific
version."

However, if you're not using virtualenv, I'd recommend looking at it
as well: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/virtualenv