    i need to do? to install perl and those packages in my local account,
    in my home directory!!!

    Thanks a lot.

    ulloa, Jul 28, 2004

  2. On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 15:46:14 -0700, ulloa wrote:

    > I have an account in an sun server, and i have a problem i need to
    > instal DBI and DBD::Oracle packages and i can not install them using
    > the actual perl version (I am having a lot of problems).
    > I read that a possible solution is to install another perl version, so
    > i download perl 5.8.3 and the respective packages, and now i need to
    > install them, but i do not have any permission to do that. So what do
    > i need to do? to install perl and those packages in my local account,
    > in my home directory!!!
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

    When installing perl, the perl script will ask you where to install
    it. Make a directory called $HOME/local and install it under
    $HOME/local/perl. Then do perl Makefile.PL prefix=$HOME/local
    with your required packages. The last thing is to set PERL5LIB to
    point to the directory where your packages are. In my case, it is
    the following:
    $ echo $PERL5LIB
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi:/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0

    $ ls /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/DBI.pm
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/DBI.pm
    $

    --
    A city is a large community where people are lonesome together.

    Mladen Gogala, Jul 29, 2004