Install Python on win32 without modifying registry

QyRoN

Hi

I need to install python-2.3 on my computer. The problem is that
python and many programs written in python (pythonwin for example) use
registry for storing parameters on python installation. Is there a way
to install without modifying the registry?

Jeff Sandys

Install Python-2.3 on a computer that you have registry permissions,
like your home computer, copy everything in the Python23 directory
onto a CDROM, also search for python23.dll and copy it to the CDROM.
You will be able to run Python off of the CDROM. Copy the CDROM
onto the restricted computer and you can run Python on it without
using the registry.

I think that Pythonwin needs to register to activate the COM
interface, I could be wrong, try copying the PythonCOM23.dll and
PyWinTypes23.dll and see if it works.

SeaPIG members have worked on a Python distribution with a
webserver that will run off of a USB zipdrive, on any Windows,
Linux and Mac computer.

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys

Larry Bates

Can you install any other programs on your computer
that don't write anything to the registry? Microsoft
programs sometimes make 100's of registry changes.
You need registry entries to associate .PY programs
with Python, etc. Not really sure why Python should
be expected to do something that hardly any other
modern program is expected to do.

HTH,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.