    FreeBSD guru and it's my first python upgrade... thanks!

    --
    Ksenia
    Ksenia Marasanova, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Ksenia Marasanova

    Paul Watson Guest

    Ksenia Marasanova wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
    > current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
    > instead of upgrading.
    > Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
    > /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
    > as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?

    Yes, you can have several versions installed in different directories.

    Many people make /usr/local/bin/python or /usr/bin/python a link to the
    default version they choose for the machine.
    Paul Watson, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Ksenia Marasanova

    Mike Meyer Guest

    Ksenia Marasanova <> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have python2.3, installed from port /lang/python long time ago. The
    > current version is 2.4, but I'd rather have two python versions,
    > instead of upgrading.
    > Is there maybe a way to somehow link installed python to
    > /lang/python2.3 port, and then upgrade ports and install /lang/python
    > as a new (2.4) version, without upgrading?
    > Or am I missing something and the things are much easier? I am not a
    > FreeBSD guru and it's my first python upgrade... thanks!

    You can't install from ports and keep multiple versions around. Well,
    at least not easily. You'll have to install from the Python
    sources. If you haven't changed LOCALBASE, then installing from
    sources will overwrite the things installed in /usr/local/bin, the
    python manual page, and the emacs python-mode file (at least, that's
    what's installed by the Python port that isn't in a version-specific
    file). As others have said, you can work around that with the --prefix
    argument to configure when you build python.

    <mike
    Mike Meyer, Nov 17, 2005