install ruby 1.9-p243 from source in /usr/bin, ubuntu 9.04

Rainer Kuhn

What I expected: Ruby should install in /usr/bin and /usr/lib where the
previous ruby installation already is.

What happened: Ruby installed in /usr/local

What I did:
download ruby1.9-p243
unpack
/configure
make
sudo make install

Can someone help me to get this installed over the current ruby1.9-p129
installation which alread is at /usr/bin so I can keep all my already
installed gems.

Ray

Ubuntu 9.04

Robert Klemme

2010/3/10 G Brandon Hoyt said:
The reason why built-from-source ruby lives in /usr/local is because
Ubuntu 'owns' the files in /usr/bin and /usr/lib. =A0When Ubuntu updates
packages, these packages change. =A0You 'own' the files in /usr/local/*,
so you are responsible for making sure they stay up to date, Ubuntu does
not change them. =A0The downside is that if you are building ruby from
source, you can't use the packages for ruby in Ubuntu. =A0That's ok, most
of what you need comes automatically when you build the code from source.

I couldn't agree more! It is a very bad idea to try to install over
those versions provided by the package manager. This is definitively
calling for trouble. It's easier to stick with the installation in
/usr/local and adjust either shebang in scripts or create a few
symlinks in /usr - although I would be cautious with that already.

Alternative: get a package from another source, e.g. 1.9.1.378-1:
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ruby1.9.1
http://packages.debian.org/sid/ruby1.9.1

or live with a tad older version 1.9.1.243-2:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/karmic/ruby1.9.1-full

Kind regards

robert

--=20
http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

jzakiya

I couldn't agree more!  It is a very bad idea to try to install over
those versions provided by the package manager.  This is definitively
calling for trouble.  It's easier to stick with the installation in
/usr/local and adjust either shebang in scripts or create a few
symlinks in /usr - although I would be cautious with that already.

Alternative: get a package from another source, e.g. 1.9.1.378-1:http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ruby1.9.1http://packages.debian.org/sid/ruby1.9.1

or live with a tad older version 1.9.1.243-2:http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/karmic/ruby1.9.1-full

Kind regards

robert