install ruby 1.9-p243 from source in /usr/bin, ubuntu 9.04

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Rainer Kuhn, Aug 31, 2009.

  1. Rainer Kuhn

    Rainer Kuhn Guest

    What I expected: Ruby should install in /usr/bin and /usr/lib where the
    previous ruby installation already is.

    What happened: Ruby installed in /usr/local

    What I did:
    download ruby1.9-p243
    unpack
    /configure
    make
    sudo make install

    Can someone help me to get this installed over the current ruby1.9-p129
    installation which alread is at /usr/bin so I can keep all my already
    installed gems.

    Ray

    Ubuntu 9.04
    Rainer Kuhn, Aug 31, 2009

  2. 2010/3/10 G Brandon Hoyt <>:

    > The reason why built-from-source ruby lives in /usr/local is because
    > Ubuntu 'owns' the files in /usr/bin and /usr/lib. =A0When Ubuntu updates
    > packages, these packages change. =A0You 'own' the files in /usr/local/*,
    > so you are responsible for making sure they stay up to date, Ubuntu does
    > not change them. =A0The downside is that if you are building ruby from
    > source, you can't use the packages for ruby in Ubuntu. =A0That's ok, most
    > of what you need comes automatically when you build the code from source.

    I couldn't agree more! It is a very bad idea to try to install over
    those versions provided by the package manager. This is definitively
    calling for trouble. It's easier to stick with the installation in
    /usr/local and adjust either shebang in scripts or create a few
    symlinks in /usr - although I would be cautious with that already.

    Alternative: get a package from another source, e.g. 1.9.1.378-1:
    http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ruby1.9.1
    http://packages.debian.org/sid/ruby1.9.1

    or live with a tad older version 1.9.1.243-2:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/karmic/ruby1.9.1-full

    Kind regards

    robert

    --=20
    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
    Robert Klemme, Mar 10, 2010

  3. Rainer Kuhn

    jzakiya Guest

    On Mar 10, 11:56 am, Robert Klemme <> wrote:
    > 2010/3/10 G Brandon Hoyt <>:
    >
    > > The reason why built-from-source ruby lives in /usr/local is because
    > > Ubuntu 'owns' the files in /usr/bin and /usr/lib.  When Ubuntu updates
    > > packages, these packages change.  You 'own' the files in /usr/local/*,
    > > so you are responsible for making sure they stay up to date, Ubuntu does
    > > not change them.  The downside is that if you are building ruby from
    > > source, you can't use the packages for ruby in Ubuntu.  That's ok, most
    > > of what you need comes automatically when you build the code from source.

    > I couldn't agree more!  It is a very bad idea to try to install over
    > those versions provided by the package manager.  This is definitively
    > calling for trouble.  It's easier to stick with the installation in
    > /usr/local and adjust either shebang in scripts or create a few
    > symlinks in /usr - although I would be cautious with that already.
    >
    > Alternative: get a package from another source, e.g. 1.9.1.378-1:http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/ruby1.9.1http://packages.debian.org/sid/ruby1.9.1
    >
    > or live with a tad older version 1.9.1.243-2:http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/karmic/ruby1.9.1-full
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > robert