install source code to a drive other than "C:\" ?

Adam

My "C:\" is getting full. What's the best way to
install "wxWindows" without taking up 115 MB from my "C:\" ?

Why do the following:

MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.

like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?

Fao, Sean

Adam said:
My "C:\" is getting full. What's the best way to
install "wxWindows" without taking up 115 MB from my "C:\" ?

Why do the following:

MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.

like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?

What on Earth made you think this was topical in comp.lang.c or
comp.lang.c++. I don't know about the others two because I've never
been to them.

Mark McIntyre

My "C:\" is getting full. What's the best way to
install "wxWindows" without taking up 115 MB from my "C:\" ?

This has NOTHING to do with the C programming language. I suggest you read
the wxWindows documentation to see what alternatives there are.

Flash Gordon

My "C:\" is getting full. What's the best way to
install "wxWindows" without taking up 115 MB from my "C:\" ?

What does this have to do with programming in standard C?
Why do the following:

MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.

like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?

What does this have to do with programming in standard C?

I believe the same could be said for comp.lang.c++ (with the addition of
a post-increment as for comp.lang.c so I'm deleting those groups from
the followups.

I'll leave it for the groups I don't know to further trim things if they
wish.

Malcolm

Adam said:
Why do the following:

MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.

like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?
Where do you expect C to go, if not to the C drive?

Adam

It would be nice if compilers / libraries gave users the option to
install source code (and thus, objs, libs, etc.) to a location of
his / her choosing. That way, users can install the application to
the "C:\" drive and the source code to a data drive (like "D:\"),
which could be a logical partition.

Doing a search on my "C:\" drive for *.obj was alarming,
especially when there are debug / release versions.
And then, within debug / release version, there are
unicode / ascii, static / dynamic, etc.

Flash Gordon

It would be nice if compilers / libraries gave users the option to
install source code (and thus, objs, libs, etc.) to a location of

<snip>

Please stop discussing your implementation on comp.lang.c and
comp.lang.c++, these groups are here to discuss the languages, not the
particulars of your implementation.

<snip>

Please don't top post. Your reply belongs under the text you are
replying to which should be suitable snipped.

Followups set.

Kenny McCormack

<snip>

Please stop discussing your implementation on comp.lang.c and
comp.lang.c++, these groups are here to discuss the languages, not the
particulars of your implementation.

He is talking about stuff having to do with his "C" drive.
It seems reasonable to me that a newsgroup named something like
"something.c" might be helpful to him.
<snip>

Please don't top post. Your reply belongs under the text you are
replying to which should be suitable snipped.

</opinion-about-the-endless-top-posting-debate>
I am an old line, old line, Usenetter and, in theory, I agree with the
basic idea of how-to-post - you will note that I always post that way. But
here's the thing - I'm smart enough to do it correctly. It is an
unfortunate, sad, but alas true fact of life that most people today (coming
from Microsoft/Google or AOL/WebTV or worse) aren't smart enough to do it
correctly. In particular, if you use Outlook Express (as most people do
today), it (OE) so badly screws up the quoting structure of most posts that
it is impossible to navigate (using the usual tools/conventions found in
normal [classical Unix] newsreaders). I've found that with the typical
bottom-posted but screwed up by OE post (*), I just go to the bottom of the
post anyway, so it might as well have been top-posted.

Yes, I am aware that by doing so, I run the risk of missing any
"included/interleaved" new material. Sad, but necessary.

(*) Which often consists of pages and pages of quoted text followed by
2 or 3 lines of new material, at the bottom.

Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:59:17 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
He is talking about stuff having to do with his "C" drive.
It seems reasonable to me that a newsgroup named something like
"something.c" might be helpful to him.

And comp.lang.c++ ? Last time I checked, drives went from A to Z, and C++
was an illegal name....

Real Name

Mark McIntyre said:
And comp.lang.c++ ? Last time I checked, drives went from A to Z, and C++
was an illegal name....

But installing something onto drive C and then switching to drive D lokks
like "C++"?!

Flash Gordon

But installing something onto drive C and then switching to drive D
lokks like "C++"?!

Yes, but C++ is only on topic for one of the groups. Far better to move
to drive D then install it using "++C".

Richard Bos

Flash Gordon said:
Yes, but C++ is only on topic for one of the groups. Far better to move
to drive D then install it using "++C".

Isn't the next drive after C: supposed to be P: rather than D:?

RIchard

Flash Gordon

Yes, but C++ is only on topic for one of the groups. Far better to
move to drive D then install it using "++C".

Isn't the next drive after C: supposed to be P: rather than D:?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, drive P isn't available since I took the P when I posted.