    Does anyone know how to make python 2.6.2 work in mac os x?

    Thanks,
    Stefan
    Karl Jansson, Jun 11, 2009

  2. Karl Jansson wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was doing the tutorial at http://www.python.org/doc/current/
    > tutorial/, and I came across some code that did not work, and I got
    > the following error: AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute
    > 'format'.
    >
    > So I downloaded a .dmg of python 2.6.2 and then I installed it. But
    > it's not working. Running the Python launcher, the "new" command in
    > the file menu is grey, and won't work, so I can't make any scripts.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to make python 2.6.2 work in mac os x?

    What happens if you work on the commandline (Terminal)?

    Python2.6 should be available from (out of my head)

    /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python

    If that's working, it is successfully installed.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Jun 11, 2009

  3. On Jun 24, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Karl Jansson wrote:

    >> What happens if you work on the commandline (Terminal)?
    >>
    >> Python2.6 should be available from (out of my head)
    >>
    >> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python
    >>
    >> If that's working, it is successfully installed.
    >>
    >> Diez
    >> -- http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list

    > If I work on the commandline, I have version 2.3, which works. But
    > some of the commands in the tutorial don't work with that version,
    > so I had to upgrade in order to do the tutorial. But I still can't
    > do it, obviously.

    The system Python (2.3) is in /usr/bin and that's probably first in
    your path, so when you simply type 'python' it finds /usr/bin/python.

    Python 2.6 might have installed itself in /usr/local/bin. Try
    invoking /usr/local/bin/python and see which one you get (if that
    works at all). If that's Python 2.6, then move /usr/local/bin ahead of
    usr/bin in your path and then you'll invoke Python 2.6 by just typing
    'python' at the command line.

    If that doesn't work, hunt around in /Library/Frameworks as Diez
    suggested. Until we figure out whether or not you actually have 2.6
    installed, it is difficult to suggest how to invoke it.

    Let us know what you find.

    bye
    Philip
    Philip Semanchuk, Jun 24, 2009